Home General
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

The Official Pottermore Thread

Comments

• nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Was it ever bad? Just waiting that is shit. It has been good so far.
  • chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking at the Frankfurt Book Fair on Monday, Pottermore CEO Charlie Redmayne had much to say about J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter website and particularly the direction it’s headed in.

For starters, Redmayne revealed that the final batch of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets chapters would be released by the end of this month. In September chapters five through eleven were released.

He also spoke on how Pottermore wants to be on every digital platform they can, unlike all other digital publishing businesses. “Most publishers see digital publishing as creating e-books or, perhaps, enhanced e-books, but Pottermore looked at every single platform—e-books, browser-based experiences, social network, apps, game consoles, in-flight entertainment, YouTube, and educational platforms—to see if and how it could work for our brand,” said Redmayne. “Publishers have often thought that filmmakers or gaming companies have the rights to the more valuable properties, but we have the rights to the stories and that has immense value.”

These comments are similar to ones Redmayne has made in the past, but as Pottermore Owl points out, there are particular areas he mentioned that we have not seen Pottermore reach: Apps and in-flight entertainment namely.

Also promised during his discussion in Frankfurt was a “Games” hub to help retain the high number of visitors the site receives whenever new content (chapters) is released. We’re wondering if these are entirely new games or an easy way to replay all of the mini games found within the chapters.

See our report on Pottermore’s Chamber of Secrets chapters five through eleven to learn what new material J.K. Rowling wrote and revealed.
    imageimageimage
    JK just revealed she wrote a full autobiography of Lupin, she even showed artwork for the knight bus:
    imageimageimage
  • TubbyToastTubbyToast Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh that'll be satisfying! The art work looks great again too, one of the best parts of Pottermore to me.
    The artwork continues to amaze me.
  • K3chocolateK3chocolate Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Sorry if this has already been brought up before, but how does everyone feel about them finally selling ebooks? I know JK Rowling was against it at first to encourage reading real books (which I agree with), but since we live in a digital age, they have now released the versions for Kindles and Nooks and all that. I know it's practical if you travel and all, but I strongly support reading real books and I feel like the next generation won't even have real books to read, because everything will be digital.

What do you guys think?
  • phoenix1phoenix1 Posts: 2,293 mod
    I agree, I have two copies of the paperback sets (one to read and one to save) real books are so much better. But given the size of some of the books it would be easier to transport them by e-book if you're traveling. But with a real book, you never have to worry about your batteries dying ;) There are a lot of people in the world that can't afford the electronic books and still depend on the real thing, there's something about the smell of the library that brings back childhood memories. It will be a sad day for the world if real books disappear.
    photo niffler3b.jpg
    @phoenix1

yes, it's that smell and the ability to hold it and have it there with you no matter what. a digital book is easy to carry, but the screen somehow doesn't feel the same. The batteries die like you said. It can fall and crack or break into pieces. Or get water damage. We've all dropped our books and took them to the beach and got tea or some food spilled on it and they're still there. I live in an area where we can get hurricanes and I've been through 2 or 3 instances where we didn't have electricity for like 3 days to a week. Obviously, my MacBook died lol. My phone I could kind of charge if I ran out to my car and sat there charging it. So there wasn't any digital entertainment. But there were my friends and the books. I think it's important to have people appreciate books either way. I'll definitely have my kids read Harry Potter in the real books instead of the digital lol.
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never read a book on a computer screen and at the moment I'm not interested in trying it. Longer texts such as novels are generally more comfortable and quicker to read on paper than on screen. I don't want to reduce the pleasant experience of sinking into a chair with a good book and its associations of relaxation into mere mechanical computer staring, which we get our daily dose of anyway and certainly don't need to do more.
    @pumpkinjuice very true! I definitely get my dose of daily computer, which is so ba for our eyes. Our generation will all be getting LASIK haha. And it's true that reading on a screen just isn't the same. I would try to read long studies at college on a computer that are like 30 pages long and I can't concentrate as well lol I would just skim through. Whereas if I'm reading an actual book, I read all of it. Maybe I'm the only one
    Oh yea, a little sneak peek is so much more fun with a real book. I take HP to work and read on breaks and because the books are so long they last for quite a while. When you read on the computer it seems like your eyes are always roaming down the screen and it makes it harder to concentrate, sometime I find I've read the same part two or three times. Although, e-books may be a bit easier for Hermione to carry - LOL. image
    photo niffler3b.jpg
    haha that's funny. makes me think of her walking around with tons and tons of books. I always reference HP in my head haha. I was walking around college campus today from class to class with all these heavy books and I immediately thought of the part in HP4 when Harry was thinking how different Hermione's posture looked at the Yule Ball... or maybe it was the lack of 10 books hunching her over? haha love Hermione

btw, JK Rowling is about to do an interview on Jon Steward (Comedy Central channel). just to let everyone know bc I hate when I don't hear about interviews and miss them!
    New image from Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 18 - Dumbledore Returns.

Just beautiful
    aw that's so gorgeous! I haven't had time to go back to Pottermore yet, with work and college and all. Because once I'm there, I'm there for HOURS lol so I was like, don't even start
  • Romione3Romione3 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    I am not on the list =/
    But I am on pottermore, my name is FelicisGhost3743 =D
    Confirming what Pottermore CEO Charlie Redmayne said in an interview earlier this month, the Pottermore Insider says that the final Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets chapters will premiere next week.

“Brewing Polyjuice Potion, accessing the Slytherin common room and uncovering the secret of Tom Riddle’s diary are amongst the many exciting Moments awaiting you,” they write.

“These concluding chapters will also contain brand new exclusive content from J.K. Rowling, including material on the Chamber of Secrets; it’s origin and history.”

Following the release of these final chapters, all eyes will move on to the release of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. A time frame for the third book’s release has not been divulged, but we’d hope to see the first few chapters at the very end of this year or at the beginning of the next.

New chapter art has also been released:
    imageimageimage
    Yes, this would be great bc I would love to learn more on the origins of the Chamber of Secrets. They were talking about this topic of Mugglenet Poscast and they asked some good questions like, " how did the other founders not see Slyrherin build this chamber?" and things like, "who did all the work for the founders? House elves?". I think this would be interesting to read!
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally, I'm back on Pottermore! Feel free to add me! :D

FlameShadow69

Lord Stafford.
    Wow, the first chapters of POA end of this year/start of this year, so long :( But I'm glad the rest of COS is coming, I'm excited for that.
    You can add me too =) My name is FelicisGhost3743 and proud to be a Slytherin ^.^
  • caswalmaccaswalmac Posts: 10
    Romione3 said:

You can add me too =) My name is FelicisGhost3743 and proud to be a Slytherin ^.^

Is it ok if I add you? I'm also in Slytherin. KnightRain30657
    edited October 2012
    Sure it's ok =) I love all Slytherins!!! =P
    Hey guys! Is anyone else having problems finding the spells in the Dueling Club? I can only find Expelliarmus and can't find the other two! I can't move forward! HELP please :)
    @caswalmac It's too hard this chapter =/ The spells is not in the same place everytime -unfair-. I will go to this chapter again, and I'll try to help you =)
    edited October 2012
    caswalmac said:

Hey guys! Is anyone else having problems finding the spells in the Dueling Club? I can only find Expelliarmus and can't find the other two! I can't move forward! HELP please :)

Try this, this site has helped me on quite a few things
    http://www.cheatswhiz.com/pottermore/guides/book-2-chapter-11-walkthrough/

@RustyBones~ image No one's fighting about books...I don't think anyone was, they were just stating their opinions of what was to like or dislike about any style. ;)

photo niffler3b.jpg
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    phoenix1 said:

caswalmac said:

Try this, this site has helped me on quite a few things
    http://www.cheatswhiz.com/pottermore/guides/book-2-chapter-11-walkthrough/

@RustyBones~ image No one's fighting about books...I don't think anyone was, they were just stating their opinions of what was to like or dislike about any style. ;)

I know there was no fighting in the thread, but I thought there was a good point being made in that picture. I found it online; those are not my words. My kindle is useful when me/family/friends travel. Other than that, it never gets used. I prefer the OG book. I go to the library a buttload. My dad is on the board for our local branch and I am at one branch or the other about 3 to 4 times a week. LOVE ME SOME PRINTED WORD & BOOKS ON TAPE. However, I think newspapers are dead and don't feel that we should waste paper with stupid shit like phone books, advertisement mailers, etc. That stuff pisses me off!

Here is a brain-buster for y'all: would you have enjoyed the books any less had you only had ebooks? I think the only thing that could have made me enjoy the books less was if I saw the movies first. I wish I actually read all the books before seeing any of the movies. I love how much different perspectives are in my head and on the screen and I get a big ol' clue when they come together. image

I suppose if that's all you knew, the ebooks would have been fine, although, there something about actually turning the page that helps the anticipation. I did see a lot of the movies before reading the books. I first found HP during one of the earlier marathons on ABC Family...I think POA was the latest they had the first time. It was even later for the books, as a matter of fact I ordered the complete paperback set in 2009 not long after DH came out in pb. I had talked to my daughter about the movies and she kept telling me I needed to get the books (she'd been in it since the beginning getting them when they first came out) because they were so much better. It didn't make me enjoy the books less, actually it helped visualize the characters as I read and it was amazing to read all the stuff that was left out of the movies. It made things fall together so much better.
    photo niffler3b.jpg
    Fittingly, Pottermore has announced that the last Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets chapters will open tomorrow, October 31.

The specific opening time is 12 PM GMT/8 AM ET/5 AM PT. We had learned exactly a week ago that the final chapters were due out this month, but an exact release date hadn’t been set. Due to some of J.K. Rowling’s new material leaking early, we know that new writing from our favorite author will be about The Sword of Gryffindor, Ghosts, and the Chamber of Secrets.
    imageimageimage
    I've been going through the final chapters of PS, and the first few chapters of COS, and it does take me back. So far, the COS chapters have been just as good as the PS chapters. So, I look forward to the new chapters.

Lord Stafford.
    The new chapters are on.
    imageimageimage
    YES! Loving it so far, just gone through the Polyjuice Potion chapter. I wonder how to get into the Slytherin Common Room :-?
    I found the last couple chapters go too quickly. I don't know, it felt like the chapters were short. Visuals were nice as always though.
  • UniversHarryPotter.cUniversHarryPotter.c Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭✭
    If you found how to enter in Syltherin common room please tell me ( i think it's something in regard with polyjuice no ?)
    imageimage
    I don't know that either, but loved the spider game.
    imageimageimage
    SPOILERS:
    The existence of the Chamber was known to Slytherin’s descendants and those with whom they chose to share the information. Thus the rumour stayed alive through the centuries.

There is clear evidence that the Chamber was opened more than once between the death of Slytherin and the entrance of Tom Riddle in the twentieth century. When first created, the Chamber was accessed through a concealed trapdoor and a series of magical tunnels. However, when Hogwarts’ plumbing became more elaborate in the eighteenth century (this was a rare instance of wizards copying Muggles, because hitherto they simply relieved themselves wherever they stood, and vanished the evidence), the entrance to the Chamber was threatened, being located on the site of a proposed bathroom. The presence in school at the time of a student called Corvinus Gaunt – direct descendant of Slytherin, and antecedent of Tom Riddle – explains how the simple trapdoor was secretly protected, so that those who knew how could still access the entrance to the Chamber even after newfangled plumbing had been placed on top of it.

Whispers that a monster lived in the depths of the castle were also prevalent for centuries. Again, this is because those who could hear and speak to it were not always as discreet as they might have been: the Gaunt family could not resist boasting of their knowledge. As nobody else could hear the creature sliding beneath floorboards or, latterly, through the plumbing, they did not have many believers, and none, until Riddle, dared unleash the monster on the castle.

Successive headmasters and mistresses, not to mention a number of historians, searched the castle thoroughly many times over the centuries, each time concluding that the chamber was a myth. The reason for their failure was simple: none of them was a Parselmouth.
    imageimageimage
    I like the Pottermore design of the baselisk even more than the movie's design (which was great).
    imageimageimage
    SPOILERS:
    The sword of Gryffindor was made a thousand years ago by goblins, the magical world's most skilled metalworkers, and is therefore enchanted. Fashioned from pure silver, it is inset with rubies, the stone that represents Gryffindor in the hour-glasses that count the house points at Hogwarts. Godric Gryffindor's name is engraved just beneath the hilt.

The sword was made to Godric Gryffindor's specifications by Ragnuk the First, finest of the goblin silversmiths, and therefore King (in goblin culture, the ruler does not work less than the others, but more skillfully). When it was finished, Ragnuk coveted it so much that he pretended that Gryffindor had stolen it from him, and sent minions to steal it back. Gryffindor defended himself with his wand, but did not kill his attackers. Instead he sent them back to their king bewitched, to deliver the threat that if he ever tried to steal from Gryffindor again, Gryffindor would unsheathe the sword against them all.

The goblin king took the threat seriously and left Gryffindor in possession of his rightful property, but remained resentful until he died. This was the foundation for the false legend of Gryffindor's theft that persists, in some sections of the goblin community, to this day.

The question of why a wizard would need a sword, though often asked, is easily answered. In the days before the International Statute of Secrecy, when wizards mingled freely with Muggles, they would use swords to defend themselves just as often as wands. Indeed, it was considered unsporting to use a wand against a Muggle sword (which is not to say it was never done). Many gifted wizards were also accomplished duellists in the conventional sense, Gryffindor among them.

There have been many enchanted swords in folklore. The Sword of Nuadu, part of the four legendary treasures of Tuatha Dé Danann, was invincible when drawn. Gryffindor's sword owes something to the legend of Excalibur, the sword of King Arthur, which in some legends must be drawn from a stone by the rightful king. The idea of fitness to carry the sword is echoed in the sword of Gryffindor's return to worthy members of its true owner's house.

That's the answer to a question i asked myself for years.
    imageimageimage
    From hypable:
    Chapter 12: The Polyjuice Potion
    - New material: Polyjuice Potion:

The Polyjuice Potion, which is a complex and time-consuming concoction, is best left to highly skilled witches and wizards. It enables the consumer to assume the physical appearance of another person, as long as they have first procured part of that individual’s body to add to the brew (this may be anything – toenail clippings, dandruff or worse – but it is most usual to use hair).

Chapter 13: The Very Secret Diary
    - Nothing.

Chapter 14: Cornelius Fudge
    - New material: Ghosts

Ghosts can pass through solid objects without causing damage to themselves or the material, but create disturbances in water, fire and air. The temperature drops in the immediate vicinity of a ghost, an effect intensified if many congregate in the same place. Their appearance can also turn flames blue. Should part or all of a ghost pass through a living creature, the latter will experience a freezing sensation as though they have been plunged into ice-cold water.

Chapter 15: Aragog
    - “Find three spiders” — Ooh! For what? Nothing.
    - “Keep the spiders at bay” mini game.

Chapter 16: The Chamber of Secrets
    - New material: Chamber of Secrets

Perhaps, when he first constructed the Chamber, Slytherin wanted no more than a place in which to instruct his students in spells of which the other three founders may have disapproved (disagreements sprung up early around the teaching of the Dark Arts). However, it is clear by the very decoration of the Chamber that by the time Slytherin finished it he had developed grandiose ideas of his own importance to the school.

Chapter 17: The Heir of Slytherin
    - New material: Chamber of Secrets

Successive headmasters and mistresses, not to mention a number of historians, searched the castle thoroughly many times over the centuries, each time concluding that the chamber was a myth. The reason for their failure was simple: none of them was a Parselmouth.

Chapter 18: Dobby’s Reward
    - New material: The Sword of Gryffindor

The question of why a wizard would need a sword, though often asked, is easily answered. In the days before the International Statute of Secrecy, when wizards mingled freely with Muggles, they would use swords to defend themselves just as often as wands. Indeed, it was considered unsporting to use a wand against a Muggle sword (which is not to say it was never done). Many gifted wizards were also accomplished duellists in the conventional sense, Gryffindor among them.
    imageimageimage
    @Romione3 and @phoenix1: Thank you!!!! I can't wait to try

@RustyBones: I listen to Harry Potter driving to work and while working out! I love it! THEM I mean
    I found how to enter the Syltherin Common room you have to make the polyjuice potion but like i'm not good in potion i think i willnever enter

For make the polyjuice potion :

-You have to open the door closed in the Snape office (Chap 5)
    -For open this door you need the lock picker badge and successfully make the swelling solution

then the door open and you can stole the two ingredients you need to make the polyjuice potion
    imageimage
    I am f-ing luckyyyy!!!!!!!! I am a Slytherin!! I can go to MY common room whenever I want!! LOL!!
    I finished the book just yesterday. It's SUPER-COOL!! I wish that you find a way to go on -our =P- common room ^.^
    It was lovely, though I expected quite a lot more....
    I'm heading to Pottermore, right now! :D

Lord Stafford.
    try to make the the swelling solution : 2 why child success and i no :((
    imageimage
  • SueSue Posts: 148
    I have problem with brew Swelling solution. I made all steps but between step nine and step ten Pottermoor tell me that I made wrong in brew... I don't know what I should do.
  • hermionefan1267hermionefan1267 Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    Hi! So I'm sort-of new(just started coming on here again) and my pottermore is mirrorlumos9385 if anyone wants to add me.... Go Ravenclaw!!!!
    text
    text
    text
    text
    "The sun persists in rising so I make myself stand."