Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

At least 12 killed as 71 are shot at Batman movie in Aurora CO

Comments

• PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firefly said:

If he stays in prison he will be eventually killed anyway.

Inmates have been heard discussing that they want to kill him. Even in prison they hold contempt for child murderers/paedophiles (not saying this guy was a paedophile, but in prison they hate people who do harm to children).

This.
    And in a sick way, it kind of warms my heart that the inmates feel hate so passionately to this monster.
    imageimage
  • KranenKranen Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Henrick said:

I think it's funny how the media is trying to justify James Holmes attitude. For me, there is no justification. I recommend everyone watching We Need to Talk About Kevin. The movie explores the nature of a sociopath. It's a great film, and one of my year's favorites.

However we don't know whether he is a sociopath yet. Personally, when I heard he claimed he was The Joker to the police, my first reaction was "this guy is probably psychotic". Unless he was joking, he clearly seems to be delusional. Thinking you are another person is a sign of schizophrenia -- a psychosis/mental disorder rather than sociopathy, a.k.a. antisocial personality disorder. Him almost dozing off in the court strengthened that theory of mine.

Why should it matter whether he was psychotic or not, you might ask. Well here is why:
    A sociopath might kill the neighbour's dog because it annoyed him or because he wanted to be mean towards his neighbour. He knows it's wrong, but he doesn't care.
    A psychotic person might kill the dog because he thought it was sent from the outer space to destroy humanity. In other words, he either doesn't know that his acts are wrong or he justifies the bad deeds by thinking they are necessary for the greater good, e.g. saving the world from a space invasion.

That's why I think the difference matters. Horrible acts cannot be justified, but the individual's reasoning for acting them out can be understood, though not respected obviously. Killing a potentially psychotic person would in my eyes be the easy way out when he can be treated for it in prison, which is only fair in my humble opinion considering he would be a product of his environments to a large degree.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
  • XWingardium_LeviosaXXWingardium_LeviosaX Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Kranen said:
    Wow. That's amazing.
  • chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really amazing Bale did this. Respect to Bale for doing this. This shows off Bale doesn't play a hero, he IS a hero.
    imageimageimage
  • Potter35Potter35 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Kranen said:
    Awesome.So nice of her. (:
  • XWingardium_LeviosaXXWingardium_LeviosaX Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Potter35 said:

Kranen said:
    Awesome.So nice of her. (:
    *him :P
  • SarahElizabeth!SarahElizabeth! Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭✭
    The man in the photo with Christian looks very happy to be next to him!
    Photobucket
    edited July 2012
    Eff! I was thinking that he is another person. But thats not her. Let me correct my mistake..
    Awesome.So nice of him. (:
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod

That's really caring that he's doing this.
    imageimageimage
    aaron said:

That's really caring that he's doing this.

aw. Seriously! (:
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My feels...
  • HPFan4everHPFan4ever Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    another pic of him visiting them :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    visit my blog!
    www.mediahype101.blogspot.com (tv shows/reviews)
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concerning the discussion of whether or not we should use Holmes' name when speaking of this massacre I'm going to quote a comment I agree with:
    This idea to not use Holmes' name when discussing his massacre of 12 people, and wounding dozens more, is a knee-jerk reaction, and counter-productive if you want to disempower Holmes.Yeah, that's the ticket. Treat Holmes like he was the very powerful "Lord Valdermort" character in the Harry Potter series by calling him the equivalent of "He Who Must Not Be Named." That's exactly the way to further empower Holmes.The wizarding community called Lord Valdemort "He Who Must Not Be Named" because they were so terrified of him. Is that the image and reality we want to create about America to the rest of the world? To Holmes himself? To other potential shooters?Also, anyone with a backbone is not going to change their behaviors involved in discussing this type of story. That's another good way to show how powerful Holmes is...he brought the American news media and the American people to their knees such that they are afraid to even speak his name.Come on, guys. We are Americans. This is a horrible tragedy, but we've been through worse and survived. We can survive this tragedy, as well...just as long as we don't broadcast how weak we are. That's not going to help anybody or anything, and sure isn't going to decrease the chance of another tragedy like what occurred in Aurora.
    This was posted by "MorgaineOMalley" under comments at this link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/james-holmes-goofy-behavior-sign-psychosis-faking-expert/story?id=16844456
  • TubbyToastTubbyToast Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not really the same thing. It's about making the focus be on the victims, not the shooter.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod

Concerning the discussion of whether or not we should use Holmes' name when speaking of this massacre I'm going to quote a comment I agree with:

This idea to not use Holmes' name when discussing his massacre of 12 people, and wounding dozens more, is a knee-jerk reaction, and counter-productive if you want to disempower Holmes.Yeah, that's the ticket. Treat Holmes like he was the very powerful "Lord Valdermort" character in the Harry Potter series by calling him the equivalent of "He Who Must Not Be Named." That's exactly the way to further empower Holmes.The wizarding community called Lord Valdemort "He Who Must Not Be Named" because they were so terrified of him. Is that the image and reality we want to create about America to the rest of the world? To Holmes himself? To other potential shooters?Also, anyone with a backbone is not going to change their behaviors involved in discussing this type of story. That's another good way to show how powerful Holmes is...he brought the American news media and the American people to their knees such that they are afraid to even speak his name.Come on, guys. We are Americans. This is a horrible tragedy, but we've been through worse and survived. We can survive this tragedy, as well...just as long as we don't broadcast how weak we are. That's not going to help anybody or anything, and sure isn't going to decrease the chance of another tragedy like what occurred in Aurora.
    This was posted by "MorgaineOMalley" under comments at this link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/james-holmes-goofy-behavior-sign-psychosis-faking-expert/story?id=16844456

Yeah this is definitely not the same thing...Like @Tubbytoast said, its more to honor the victims rather than to cower in fear. There is nothing to fear any longer, the man is in custody. There isn't a "he-who-must-not-be-named" type of meaning when talking about this. Most people I know have called him, "the shooter." Not his real name or anything else and that is not due to fear, but instead out of respect for the victims.
    Valdemort. Teehee. A Very Potter Musical's rendition of Dumbledore pronounces it that way.
    imageimage
    Loki said:

fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself

who the fuck is lord [b] Valdemort [/b] (the misspelling is sposed to be bold THIS change IS unneccary)

You used brackets for the bold instead of a chevron/angle bracket.
    Photobucket
    I've only just seen a photo of what Holmes looks like today. I found it ridiculous that he was calling himself the Joker before, as though he has some kind of sick claim to his name, but red hair? More like Ronald McDonald...
    imageimage
    Phineas said:

I've only just seen a photo of what Holmes looks like today. I found it ridiculous that he was calling himself the Joker before, as though he has some kind of sick claim to his name, but red hair? More like Ronald McDonald...

Well according to police, that is what he was calling himself. "The Joker" -_-
    I know. I was making a bit of a joke at what an idiot he is. Not only is he absolutely messed up for going around massacring a theatre, and then going "Haha, look at me I'm the Joker!" like some fuckjob fanboy, but his absolute ignorance to the name he took up makes my nerd hurt so fucking hard...

I know it's not nearly as egregious as the killing, I'm just saying.
    imageimage
    Have you heard the conspiracies about how the government set it up. Partly, this stemed from the pictures released of the shooter from a while back and now. Apparently he "isn't the same guy" and the government did it to control gun use.
    Photobucket

Have you heard the conspiracies about how the government set it up. Partly, this stemed from the pictures released of the shooter from a while back and now. Apparently he "isn't the same guy" and the government did it to control gun use.

LOL I have lmao You gotta love conspiracy theorists lmao theres another one about a nuclear explosion at the Olympics or Ufos attacking lmao it cracks me up
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

The shooter must be a hologram.
    Mysterious thing time.
  • KranenKranen Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to hell for laughing at this.... but I had to share:

Christian Bale really is a hero for visiting the victims.

After all...a hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting his coat around a young boy's arms and telling him the world hadn't ended. :)
    imageimageimage
    aaron said:

After all...a hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting his coat around a young boy's arms and telling him the world hadn't ended. :)

or someone who copies and pastes the same quote off of tumblr :P cough cough aaron cough hahahahaha
    Lmao^
  • Lord_DarkeyesLord_Darkeyes Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    What really kind of scares me is.. He calls himself the Joker, he created chaos for no reason, and he allows himself to get caught. Remind you of someone?
    image image image

What really kind of scares me is.. He calls himself the Joker, he created chaos for no reason, and he allows himself to get caught. Remind you of someone?

No.
    Mysterious thing time.
    RyGuy said:

aaron said:

or someone who copies and pastes the same quote off of tumblr :P cough cough aaron cough hahahahaha
    What are you talking about? I didn't get any shit from tumblr, in case you forgot it's from The Dark Knight Rises.
    imageimageimage
    aaron said:

RyGuy said:

aaron said:

What are you talking about? I didn't get any shit from tumblr, in case you forgot it's from The Dark Knight Rises.
    I was gonna say, "Isn't that a TDKR quote?"
    Mysterious thing time.
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFL =))
    aaron said:

RyGuy said:

aaron said:

Jesus Christ, calllllm down lol but the line about Bale being a hero and the quote from TDKR was all over tumblr with pictures of him and the victims lol no reason to get your panties in a bunch Lmao
    It would be understandable for the victims of the Colorado theater shooting and their families to want retribution.

But Pierce O'Farrill, a 28-year-old who was shot three times in the Aurora massacre, says he has forgiven James Holmes, the suspected shooter in last week's Aurora, Colo., massacre.

"Of course, I forgive him with all my heart," O'Farrill told reporters shortly before his release from the Univ. of Colorado Hospital on Wednesday. "When I saw him in his hearing, I felt nothing but sorrow for him--he's just a lost soul right now."

O'Farrill--a staffer at the Denver Rescue Mission, a Christian charity organization that helps "people at their physical and spiritual points of need, with the goal of returning them to society as productive, self-sufficient citizens"--told the Denver Post he would eventually like to meet Holmes.

"I want to see him sometime," O'Farrill, one of 58 people wounded in the shooting, said. "The first thing I want to say to him is 'I forgive you,' and the next is, 'Can I pray for you?'"

O'Farrill's compassion is in stark contrast to the brother of Jessica Ghawi, one of 12 people killed in Friday's "Dark Knight Rises" rampage.

Jordan Ghawi did not attend Holmes' first court appearance on Monday because he feared he might try to avenge his sister's death.

"I was afraid that I may try to get my hands on that man," Jordan Ghawi said in an interview with CNN outside the Arapahoe County District Court shortly after the hearing.

Holmes appeared dazed as a judge told him he would be held without bond on suspicion of first-degree murder. But Ghawi, who described Holmes as a "coward and a genius," did not buy it.

"I don't believe for a second he is sitting there with the wide eyes and pretending to be incoherent," Ghawi said. "He knows what he is doing."
    Photobucket
  • AllStar87AllStar87 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    I don't agree with the 1st part but I do strongly agree with the 2nd. There are things you need to just go " I forgive you" and move on and be the better person but this is something totally and extremely different. This is just my mind but there is no way I would forgive him if I was in a position such as this. I do agree of what Jordan Ghawi said. This is just a huge act.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    I think I'm a terrible catholic. I would never forgive someone for doing something like that. I could say it, but inside... never.
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
    RyGuy said:

aaron said:

RyGuy said:

aaron said:

Jesus Christ, calllllm down lol but the line about Bale being a hero and the quote from TDKR was all over tumblr with pictures of him and the victims lol no reason to get your panties in a bunch Lmao
    Probably reddit then :p

RyGuy said:

aaron said:

RyGuy said:

aaron said:

Probably reddit then :p
    lol its an endless chain of shared information. Usually stuff goes like this online:

4chan->Reddit->Facebook/Tumblr->9gag->SubForums haha
    9Gag <3
    image image image
    Da fuq.
    image image image
    edited July 2012
    Loll 4chan is poop. Switch that and reddit on your order then it's good.
  • Pensieve SeekerPensieve Seeker Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭
    It would be understandable for the victims of the Colorado theater shooting and their families to want retribution.

But Pierce O'Farrill, a 28-year-old who was shot three times in the Aurora massacre, says he has forgiven James Holmes, the suspected shooter in last week's Aurora, Colo., massacre.

"Of course, I forgive him with all my heart," O'Farrill told reporters shortly before his release from the Univ. of Colorado Hospital on Wednesday. "When I saw him in his hearing, I felt nothing but sorrow for him--he's just a lost soul right now."

O'Farrill--a staffer at the Denver Rescue Mission, a Christian charity organization that helps "people at their physical and spiritual points of need, with the goal of returning them to society as productive, self-sufficient citizens"--told the Denver Post he would eventually like to meet Holmes.

"I want to see him sometime," O'Farrill, one of 58 people wounded in the shooting, said. "The first thing I want to say to him is 'I forgive you,' and the next is, 'Can I pray for you?'"

Well, that's all very nice, but what if Holmes doesn't want to be forgiven?
    Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Pottermore user name: SilverQuest212
  • Lord_DarkeyesLord_Darkeyes Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    If Holmes's doesn't want to be forgiven, it only makes him look worse. That's simply amazing.
    image image image

• JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    James Holmes is a fucking piece of shit.
    Wow.
    Photobucket
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aaron said:
    I'm sorry but this is hilarious.
    He's just making shit up so people think he's "even sicker".

I think so too^

Hes fooling people and they are eating the dough lmfao.