Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

It's been 10 years, to the day.

Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in Movies
The beginning of an era:

The beginning of our childhood. We were all cojoined and brought together by one passion and one love. The captivating creation of Harry Potter, written originally by the creative genius that is JK Rowling. It is now exactly 10 years since we saw Harry Potter for the first time on the silver screen. It has become the highest grossing film series of all time.

November 16th 2001.
November 16th 2011.

We were bound by new friendships that we made with people from across all borders, and some will have found love through it, all because of one woman... Jo Rowling. We have now come to the end of that era, with the last film released and no more books to be released. The beginning of a new era has begun. It is time to start afresh. To start anew.

Thank you, Harry, and thank you, Jo... for everything.

“You are my childhood.”

It’s been long time coming, but we’ve made it this far.
Others might not understand, but that’s alright, ‘cause we know there’s more to it.
This ain’t like anything else we’ve ever experienced, and frankly, I find that amazing.
Now some could say that it’s a fad, that it’s a trend, that someday, it’ll all fade away.
But I don’t believe that. In such a short period we’ve made bonds that will last lifetimes.
And I’ll be damned if I allow myself to let go without a fight.
This phenomenon is blind to age, gender, race, and location.
So even though we’ve reached the end, it’s not over yet.
We’ll still have each other. All the friendships, and all the laughs.
And when it seems dark, we’ll all be there with out stretched hands.
Life’s a funny thing. It can present you with surprises around every corner.
No one knows what tomorrow will bring, but we can hope that it brings us all a little bit closer.

This is the last call.
This is the final song.
This is the last goodbye.
So give all that you can.
Let me hear you now,
Singing out loud and proud.
No more tears will fall,
‘Cause together we are strong.

We have the power of choice. We have the power to define our own future.
We merely have to step up to the plate and take hold of what we care for,
Not letting go of our dreams and wishes just because people tell us this all has a life span.
We all came across this by chance, and I’d be surprised if anyone at the time
Would have been able to predict that it would become what it is today.
It’s true, some things will slowly drift beyond the immediate,
But as a whole, we’ve cultivated something that defies boundaries.

This is the last call.
This is the final song.
Let me hear you now,
No more tears will fall,

Now I know I can’t speak for everyone, I can only express my own feelings and views,
But I have a pretty good inclination that a lot of you are going down the same road as myself.
Ten years, ten short years. If only we had begun at year one.
Imagine where we might have been by now. But I digress.
As a great man once said, “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
We’re being given a fresh start. A new era is fast approaching.
But this time around, we are the storytellers.

This is the last call.
This is the final song.
Let me hear you now,
No more tears will fall,

Credit goes to GoldenSeeker22 for the video, and Oliver Boyd and the Remembralls for the song and it's lyrics.

Feel free to share any of your thoughts and favourite videos, guys. I know that i sure as hell will.

Lord Stafford.

Comments

• PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm working on a video tribute, now that I have the final Dvd. It'll be set to Time from Inception, and Charlie Chaplin's speech from The Great Dictator. Don't ask why, I just had the crazy idea, and it works well in my head.
    imageimage
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to watching it.

Lord Stafford.
  • JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gah! All I'm after is an adequate program I can download for free that will allow me to rip the footage from the Dvd in acceptable quality, without error. Anyone know of such a program? I've tried so many...
    imageimage
  • Wow, Staff. Amazing thread, bud :D
    Made me tear. :'(
    imageimageimage
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I needed to make it.

Lord Stafford.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    edited November 2011
    Wow Staff this made me tear as well...

Its such a weird thing to think back. Just curious but where were you all and what were you doing if you can remember? I, at age 10, remember seeing the 7:30pm showing of Sorcerer's Stone that day with my aunt, who I went with to see every single movie from that point on. The theater is now closed, my aunt now has gray hair and Ive grown several feet. :) It is so weird to think back gang ten years ago. :-S It is insane how this fandom has grown.
  • JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumbledore : this memory is everything.
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was amazing writing. I know it gets said alot around here but I still can't get over it. I've been crying on and off since last October, not willing to let it go.

I think about this magical world every day, I'm on this forum everyday, I listen to Wrock or some of the movie's scores everyday... I can't let it go.
    I watched DH1 and DH2 4 Times on Opening Weekend! I just can't let it out of my mind...

How could a southern boy with no interest in reading get hooked on such a kid's tale?
    My mom bought me the first book in August of 2000. I protested but I finally broke down and read it. I remember even now, I was 9 years old and after finishing Sorcerer's Stone in 3 days I felt as it a new fragment of soul had grown in my body, and that part would always rest in the magical world.
    We went to Bookland the next day and bought Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban.
    Can you really love a work of fiction as much as you do real people? Absolutely. At this point I was very much in love.

One night I was staring at my Harry Potter collection (only 3 books lol) and I was dying for more. I knew Goblet of Fire had been released but I didn't think Mom would buy it for me until Christmas... It was agonizing.

She walks in on me admiring my collection on my bed and says, "I think you forgot one in my room..."
    I looked at her weird but I followed her anyway.
    One of my favorite Harry Potter memories: I walked in and there sat Goblet of Fire, I'll never forget this moment, in the middle of her bed. Greenish cover with Harry smiling on the front with different assorted characters behind him. I had a fit, jumped around and acted a fool, then sat down to start reading immediately. My mom was pregnant with what would soon be my little brother.

I've been addicted now since 2000, my brother was born in January of 2001, and now we get to the interesting part.

My Dad and Stepmom are devout christians, like me, but they are very much more strict. They watched a show on how Harry Potter was sucking kids in, possibly leading to more interest in the Occult. They slammed the ban hammer on Harry Potter in their house and they wouldn't hear nothing about it.

At this point posters started cropping up in my school, with a release date for a familiar movie... I thought at first they were advertising the book but I soon realized it was the movie version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I was ecstatic. The movie comes out, we are there at the first showtime. I can never remember being so excited during one outing to the movies- Pure childish joy, unfazed by the different worries of life. I met criticism from my Dad's side of the family, and couldn't even tell them about my favorite thing in the world... :(

Chamber of Secrets comes out in 2002 and my Aunt asks if I liked it- my Dad replies "Of course he didn't, it was Harry Potter." This led to an uncomfortable situation.

In 2003 I went with my Dad's mom, (I call her Nana), and my Aunt and all of my cousins and sister to Oklahoma. We were going to be there up until the day before Order of the Phoenix came out. It was a fun trip and they dropped me off at Dad's house the night we get home. I stayed up all night watching CNN hanging on to the slim hope that I would hear something about Harry. I did, a girl had received her copy early and had already read 500 or so pages. She didn't make any mention of anyone dying so I assumed the important death was at the end of the book.

The next morning my dad passes wal-mart and I make a whimper wanting to go, and he says not in a thousand years would he think of stopping there today, saying "he knew exactly what I wanted."

We get to my mom's bank where he drops me off. Of course Mom saved the day yet again. There, in her office, lay a monster sized blue book with a sneaky looking Harry on the front. Joy like you can only imagine set in, and I set off to reading. I finished in 3 days of constant reading and fell back into the hollow "I need more" phase.

In 2004 while viewing Shrek 2 at the drive in with my Dad, Stepmom, and Sister, We see a trailer for Prisoner of Azkaban. You could imagine the look on their face.
    We would be there opening day again of course. I've watched Every Single Harry Potter movie on the day it came out. Only twice have I not been to the first showtime.

I remember watching my first sneak peek on ABC family for Goblet of Fire, it was of them in Moody's classroom.

2005 rolls around and we get a movie and a book. Goblet of Fire was the first movie I watched at the new theater in our area, and I remember loving it so much that it was the first time I ever made my family carry me to see a movie twice in theaters.

I talked my mom into taking me to get Half Blood Prince at midnight at walmart. She agreed and we went and stood around with 30 other people with varying ages and races until they wheeled out a cart with 100 or so books on it. I grabbed up a copy of HBP and started looking at the chapter titles. I didn't dare read a page until we got home.

This was the first time I've ever read a book in one setting. I started at 1 in the morning and finished at 7:30. I was finishing the book when my mom was getting ready for work.

My face was pale white, my body was shaking, I couldn't grasp what I was reading. Snape killed Dumbledore. Spinner's End had already had me thinking he might be bad but the events at the end messed me up. I was hollow for 3 days after the Death of Dumbledore.

Who was RAB? What were the Horcruxes?

At this point we now had AOL in our house on our crappy old computer. This marks the first time I discovered the massive Online Community that Harry had built. I found mugglenet and JKrowling.com and immediately read those sites from cover to cover. I became a daily observer. I would spend hours upon hours reading the editorials on mugglenet. Sometimes my mom would worry about me.

The theories on what would happen in book 7 were wild on those editorials... Was Hermione actually Harry's sister? Was Dumbledore really dead?

We all remember dumbledoreisnotdead.com and harryisahorcrux.com...

I remember translations giving away the secret that RAB was indeed Regulus Black. I also remember many people already guessing that Snape might have loved Lily. Somewhere along the way the editorials convinced me that Snape was good, and I ordered a T-Shirt that said "I Trust Snape" on the front and wore it to the Midnight book release of Deathly Hallows.

I was at the beach when Order of the Phoenix came out, and I forced my best friend to go the theater with me to the first showtime or else I would hate him and my mom forever, I threatened all kinds of things until finally we were lined up outside the Rave waiting to get in at 1:00. Apparently we were under a tornado warning at some point during the movie, as I found out later, but I could care less.

July 21, 2007

Armageddon in the fiction book world. Millions upon millions gathered before midnight at bookstores all around the world. Unprecedented that people would do this for a book. Video games? of course. Movies? understandable. But a Book?

When critics say Harry taught people to read again they are right. They are absolutely positively correct. Harry Potter revolutionized the fiction book world and If you don't believe it then I might ask what rock you hid under in the 2000's.

I was present with my only friend who cared about Harry Potter at Bookland (where I bought the first 3) to get my copy of Deathly Hallows. I was there at 9 pm and nearly lost my girlfriend because that day was our 5 month anniversary and she wanted me there till 11 like usual... I dropped by her house for about 10 minutes, told her don't call me for 2 days, and left.

That night I started reading at 1:10 AM, and Finished at 11:31 AM with a 45 minute nap in that time. My favorite fiction book of all time. I loved it. What does it feel like when someone you love dies? I may not have had a close relative die yet but I know the general feeling.

No more books. Harry's story was over. I couldn't and wouldn't believe it.

"If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got "Tales of Beedle the Bard" the day it came out in 2008, and by this time I had re-read Deathly Hallows 4 times.

As of 2009 when Half Blood Prince hit theaters with me there at midnight, I had read every Harry Potter book (except Deathly Hallows) over 10 times. By now at the time of typing this I have read Deathly Hallows numerous times so it is up there with the rest of them. I've read Goblet of Fire the most, at or around 16 times.

I watched HBP twice in theaters, and started to grasp that I was 18 and the series was coming to a complete close. I pushed it out of my mind.

In 2010 I discovered Harry Potter Forum, and it easily became my favorite Harry Potter Website!

About a month before Deathly Hallows Part 1 came out I was watching HBP on HBO with my mom. At the end when they are watching the phoenix fly away I realized that my own Phoenix, Harry Potter, was flying away forever. I broke down, and cried harder than I ever have in my life. For 2 hours I lay on the couch pouring tears into a blanket just begging it not to go... I wanted to be young again and have books coming out, I wanted to go back... I couldn't let it go.

I converted one of my best friends to the Harry Potter world right before Part 1, he read the whole series in 2 weeks and fell in love. He was with me at midnight for Part1 and Part2.

I won't write anymore because Ive been here with you guys since this moment, joying and crying in the release of the final Harry Potter film... Closing out childhoods and sending others like me into a spiraling depression...

I'll never get those days back, but it was one of a kind. Nothing will ever be like it. My entire life it feels like has been a Muggle with a bird's eye view of the magical world. I may not ever let it go.

P.S. My sister on my Dad's side of the family went with me to see both Part 1 and Part 2 in theaters. My stepmom and Dad still don't like it, but they know what it means to me and have not criticized it in 2 years.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    Gah....no waterworks, Stafford. :(

I can't believe it's been a whole year since Part 1. HPF has certainly changed since we were back anticipating that film, but man what an incredible journey it's been, especially the last stretch was phenomenal. 10 years...wow. I can't even remember watching Sorcerer's Stone for the first time, honestly...It's always been a part of me.
    imageimageimage
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,701 mod
    I can a bit... :(
  • BraveheartBraveheart Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭
    Gah....no waterworks, Stafford. :(

I can't believe it's been a whole year since Part 1. HPF has certainly changed since we were back anticipating that film, but man what an incredible journey it's been, especially the last stretch was phenomenal. 10 years...wow. I can't even remember watching Sorcerer's Stone for the first time, honestly...It's always been a part of me.
    I can. I remember the WB logo appearing, and then the music, and the owl on the street sign. I remember really needing the toilet as well by the end, but holding it in because I was so amazed and awed and blown away by the whole thing. God, it feels like it was just last week. It can't really have been a decade. :(
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goodness Stafford, this made me cry. I myself saw the film was with my 10 year old aunt!
    Thank You J.K Rowling!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mysterious thing time.
  • AllStar87AllStar87 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Stafford this is unbelievable. :(( Ten Years, wow, I have gone to every one starting back in 2001. I will always regret the years where Harry Potter wasn't an interest of mine. I read the books and saw the films and loved every single one. It wasn't until the June of 2010. I watched the ultimate most epicHarry Potter trailer for DH1 and DH2. That instantly got me! After that, I would become one of the biggest hardcore fans. I went on Mugglenet, Snitchseeker, Leaky Cauldron, and COS(for a while) every day, every single day. I think because I got older and appreciated it more than when the first 6 movies came out. Now 7 days after DH2 came out I came here. I am so glad I became a fan and came here to HPF!

Even though I was 5 when Sorcerer's Stone movie came out I still remember:
    HP1 - saw it with my Mom, brother, and cousins
    HP2 - saw it with my mom
    HP3 - saw it with my Mom, brother, and cousins again
    HP4 - was different. I had my whole family there watching it even though my Dad doesn't have an interest.
    HP5 - Mom and brother
    HP6 - Mom and brother

The Best Time So Far Of My Life

DH1 - Midnight Show with my brother!
    DH2 - Midnight Show with my brother!

During those 4 hour waits, I spent my time with my brother.
    I was 14 and 15 and was old enough to value my brothership!

Thank You JK Rowling, Chris Columbus, Alfonso Cuaron, Mike Newell, and David Yates!

Most importantly thank you HPF!

No, Allstar! Thank YOU! XD
    imageimage
  • grable424grable424 Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭
    Gah! All I'm after is an adequate program I can download for free that will allow me to rip the footage from the Dvd in acceptable quality, without error. Anyone know of such a program? I've tried so many...
    DVDshrink works well.... then you can download formatfactory and convert it to whatever file format you want.
    I have DvdShrink on my mum's computer, but I think I did something wrong, because it didn't quite work. The internet's instructions aren't very clear.
    imageimage
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

:x
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mysterious thing time.
  • FireflyFirefly Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

:x
    Amazing! I'd love to collect EVERY single interview and clip from the start and have it all on a massive harddrive.

It'd so great to watch it all back one day.
    imageimage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭✭
    The only regret I have with Potter, is that I didn't pick it up the first time I heard about it. I thought it looked stupid and I ignored it. Not until, I believe, after Half Blood Prince the book came out and I think was around the same time that the GOF movie was out, did I really get interested and that led to reading the first 6 books 7 times while waiting for the final Potter book to come out. Nothing has really captivated me since as much as Potter has and I have to give Jo Rowling a huge thank you for my love of reading now. It really is all because of her and Harry Potter.

And HPF....I wish I had found this place sooner too. The time on here anticipating Parts 1 and 2 has been the most fun for me as far as online Potter forums go.
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have being with HP since the first movie came out. Though I would loved to be in this forum sooner enough.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,701 mod
    The only regret I have with Potter, is that I didn't pick it up the first time I heard about it. I thought it looked stupid and I ignored it. Not until, I believe, after Half Blood Prince the book came out and I think was around the same time that the GOF movie was out, did I really get interested and that led to reading the first 6 books 7 times while waiting for the final Potter book to come out. Nothing has really captivated me since as much as Potter has and I have to give Jo Rowling a huge thank you for my love of reading now. It really is all because of her and Harry Potter.

And HPF....I wish I had found this place sooner too. The time on here anticipating Parts 1 and 2 has been the most fun for me as far as online Potter forums go.
    We Love you!