Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

How would you describe Voldemort in each of the films that he appears?

Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Movies
His mindset often changes from bad to worse, as we know, but... being more exact, what would you say about him and his personality in each of the movies?

PS: This is probably the hardest one because he barely even exists, other than a disembodied parasite. His brain is still in tact as he tries to lure Harry into his realm, using his persuasive powers with Harry's parents returning. This didn't work as his anger got the best of him, letting Harry know that it was all just a trick. You can see where he went wrong, and you can also see how and why he was and still is feared.

COS: This is Tom, and this is the birth of Voldemort. You can see the charming Tom but you can also see the monster that is Voldemort. That is of course just a memory of him, and it is pretty much Voldemort within Tom's body... as though they were not of the same being, body and soul. His clever mind again leads him to making rash decisions, allowing Harry to kill the Basilisk, and unknowingly to Harry... destroy one of the Horcruxes in the diary of Riddle.

GOF: The Dark Lord is reborn, and there is no Tom Marvolo Riddle to be seen. But if you look closely into his eyes, you can still see the boy... but he is long gone, long lost. He had already spiraled into darkness, but you can see what sets him apart from other dark wizards, as he his known as The Dark Lord. Not only is his appearance enough to frighten anyone and anything, but his mental state is all over the place. Simply put, he is a psychopath without feelings, morales or remorse. You could say that he is a sociopath.

OOTP: In this one, he is similar, but he lacks the fundamentals that made him The Dark Lord. He became alot more cocky in this, alot more full of himself. He doesn't have as many elements in this one, as many mood swings that also make him The Dark Lord.

HBP: Tom is back, and now he is more subtle and charming than ever. When you look into his 16 year old eyes, you can see Ralph's eyes... which is a very smooth casting decision. When you look at his 11 year old self you realise immediately what Dumbledore does, which is incredibly chilling. The future Dark Lord is already seen at 11 and 16 years old respectively.

DH: Part 1 - I'm afraid we don't see enough of him in this one, but his one major scene that takes place at Malfoy Manor is genuinely frightening, and it is second in that respect only to his Graveyard resurrection. Harry experiences terrifiying visions of Voldemort on his quest for The Elder Wand, killing and searching still, all along the way. He plants his magical familiar Nagini in the body of a person that he had killed for this purpose, ready for Harry to return home.

DH: Part 2 - This one shows the extreme lengths that Voldemort is prepared to go to, in the hopes and desperation of preserving his own immortality. Like a wounded monster, as Harry says... he is still most dangerous. Whilst he is, even he has big mishaps and they prove most costly as he never realises his mistakes, still doing things without thinking... like killing Snape, and using the Killing Curse on Harry... one too many times, i might add. He couldn't feel remorse, and so, he finally died.

In conclusion, i would have to say that the Voldemort from GOF was THE Dark Lord. The essence of Voldemort was shown perfectly.

Lord Stafford.
Post edited by Lord Stafford on

Comments

• aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    PS - ruthless, two-faced villain, weak and hungry, greedy
    CoS - angry, ambitious
    GoF - desparate, clean, young, ambitious, exaggerated
    OotP - calm, soulless, vengeful
    HBP - young, suave, secretive, dark
    DH1 - ambitious, violent, desperate
    DH2 - vulnerable, desperate, abusive
    imageimageimage
  • MacMac Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭
    1.Sexy.
    2.Lady Gaga
    3.Beyonce
    4.Katy Perry
    5.Adele
    6.Mac
    7.Rich
    8.Stafford
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Care to be more like Aaron, guys?

Lord Stafford.
    Care to be more like Aaron, guys?

Lord Stafford.
    \:D/
    imageimageimage
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    1) Fallen
    2) Determined
    3) Invisible
    4) Refreshed
    5) Robust
    6) Recollection
    7p1) Prosperous
    7p2) Venerable
    Anyone notice Voldemort's neck rolls in Part 2? :))
    imageimageimage
  • GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol I did!
    I never cared about
    his physique until
    I watched Part 2.

His skin was disgusting ;)

G.G.
  • js1138js1138 Posts: 143
    How many different actors? I think it's a tribute to the movie makers that the preserved the rhythm of his voice.

COS's Voldie is thinner than HBP's, but has a similar voice.

Anyone care to guess the ages of the young Voldemorts?
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Desperate but foolish in thinking he could persuade Harry
    2. Imperialistic side of him from his youth is revealed, pride in his ancestry and more signs of introverted arrogance

4. If happy can be attributed to Lord Voldemort it is right here. After being reborn, he must be filling more joy than he had in over a decade. The world was now at his disposal. He shows more of his arrogance by belittling Harry, not realizing that he empowered Harry's escape himself. (A trait that would eventually lead to his downfall)

5. Longing for the Prophecy, Voldemort has gathered his forces and is playing the part of a sneaking snake. He moves behind the shadows preparing for the swath of destruction to be released later on. In his mind Harry Potter had to be taken care of first, then he can move on to other things.

6. A child similar to Damen from The Omen or Samara Morgan from The Ring, Tom Riddle is quiet albeit highly intelligent. His past emotional problems coupled with magical ability leads to an aura of supreme dominance that he will continue to exhibit till his death.

I would also like to point out how at this point Voldemort comes to full terms that he is in total control. He doesn't feel the need to demonstrate his power at every waking second to satisfy any insecurity. He is in complete confidence of his abilities, which allows him to sneak around and fool people into believing he is something that he is not. He learned that trust and comfort lead to getting your way in a more effective manor than open force. He purifies his name by murdering the muggle side of his family, and covers his tracks along the way. As it is with Adolf Hitler, his rise to power was slow but extremely effective. It did not happen overnight.

7. By this point Voldemort has assumed total control of EVERYONE'S lives in Great Britain, and I would be interested to know what his plans would have been had he killed Harry. Would he have seeked world dominance or just been content with what he had? I'm not sure.

He is desperate to rid Harry Potter once and for all now that Albus Dumbledore is out of the way, and he seeks the ultimate weapon to do so... The Elder Wand.
    I might add that his arrogance is broading to a point that it actually fuels the story. Had Voldemort been gifted with just a smudge of humility there would not have been Harry Potter books. Harry would have died as a baby, or in the graveyard, or in the ministry, or any other time by any selected death eater. Voldemort has to kill Harry himself, or so he believes, but this idea will kill him in the end.

Voldemort continues in his arrogance until he finally lies dead on the Castle Floor.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I described the voldemort out of the books, as I'm not a big fan of the one in the films.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    It looked like a package of hotdogs...

• JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looked like a package of hotdogs...

HAHAHA lol
  • PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enter me and my over-analysis on everything.

PS/SS: He comes across as very weak, but still manipulative. He can be very much seen as a Satan figure the way he tries to tempt Harry to join him. I like to think that he did the same thing with Quirrel and intended him to just be shunned to the corner a la Wormtail once he regained his strength. But his portrayal is not really, well, Voldemort, as much as the books. I don't like this Voldemort, and I would like to see a future edition where they edit Ralph in. I guess using Ian Hart as both Quirrel and Voldemort was pretty cool, but they really should have used a separate actor. I mean, imagine what would have happened if David Thewlis got Quirrel...The ramifications on the rest of the series!

CoS: I guess when I first saw this film, I liked this version of Tom Riddle, but in retrospect, he doesn't fit. In my opinion, Frank Dillaine hit the mark as a young Voldemort spot on. While Coulson gets the creepy evil blood-purist across, he's a little too hammy for Voldemort. He got him all wrong (I'm thinking the milking-the-cow line 'Very. Much. ALIVE!'). Of course, the audience still gets the whole, manipulative bastard message, what with Ginny and all. I guess we do see that even as a young adult, he is quite a monstrous person, with very Hitlerian ideals, attempting to murder Muggleborns in the school, framing Hagrid to boost his own credentials. At least we learn more about what kind of person Voldemort is, rather than just an evil man who kills people for the lulz, even if he does it anyway.

GoF: I know I've been talking about the casting rather than Voldemort himself, but that's because this is the first time we get to see THE perfect Voldemort. The minute he emerges from the cauldron, he begins testing his new body, and we can see that he's satisfied to finally have a proper body again, which is pretty terrifying. When he summons his Death Eaters, he gives off the aura of calm menace, which peaks when he reprimands them. The whole turning Cedric's face over with his foot was a nice touch to his personality, how he considers himself above all things. And then we see the big, cocky, confident Voldemort, as he mocks Harry, torturing and defeating him with ease. And the small speech he gives to Harry while he's on the ground is perfect. The way he talks about Harry begging for death, so he can display that Harry is a weak coward, rather than a hero who bested him.

OotP: We don't see too much of Voldemort in this one, but we see the more arrogant side, with the easy disarming of Harry, and claiming that he will kill Dumbledore. We do get to see the awesome duel, and he can hold his own against an Elder Wand-wielding greatest wizard in the world. Eventually he reaslises he can't beat him and proceeds to mind-rape Harry. It adds to the cockiness, until at last we see a weakness of Voldemort's, which is love, which Harry uses to force him out, displaying just how much of a monster he really is.

HBP: The 11 and 16 year old Riddle's are both perfect reflections of the older man. At age eleven, he seems very creepy and evil, when he talks to Dumbledore about the things he can do. And when Dumbledore displays some magic, we see the greedy, power-hungry Voldemort emerge. At sixteen, he's become confident and manipulative, and even charming, if in a creepy way.

DH1: This is when we see Voldemort with his minions and the sheer terror he radiates toward them. The faux-friendly way he says he's saved Severus a seat plainly says 'Show up late again and I'll cruciate your ass into next week' with a smile. The way he patronizes Lucius makes it pretty clear he hates him and has no qualms about humiliating him in front of everyone else. And the hatred in his tone when talking about Charity Burbage really amplifies his racist blood-purity ideals.

DH2: Now is when he starts to lose his shit. After massacring everyone in Malfoy Manor after finding out Harry is hunting Horcruxes really shows us that he's starting to freak out. Later, when the Diadem is destroyed, with the combined rage of feeling another one destroyed and the Elder Wand resisting him, he loses it for just a second and kills Thicknesse. After an intense scene with Lucius and Snape, he becomes confident again, which shows especially in the Procession scene. He claims Harry tried to run away, another nod to how much he wants to bring down Harry's hero image. Then when Harry leaps up, he has a brief moment of disbelief, which is broken when he finally loses it and starts hurling spell after spell, desperate to kill the son of a bitch. In the duel, he has to resort to sneak attacks via Apparation, and even starts physically beating him.

Okay, I'm done. :3
    imageimage
  • KranenKranen Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS - Man Eater... with a nose.

CoS - Justin Bieber

GoF - Rapist (I CAN TOUCH YOU NOW!)

OotP - Cats are cool.

HBP - Well dressed

DH1 - Badly dressed

DH2 - Shoe-less with shoes.
  • Can I ask in the Final Battle in the Court Yard, did Voldemort see Nagini die? Is that why Harry turns to look behind and they both look? When Harry turns to face Voldemort his face fills with fury. I just wondered if Voldemort seen her die?
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I ask in the Final Battle in the Court Yard, did Voldemort see Nagini die? Is that why Harry turns to look behind and they both look? When Harry turns to face Voldemort his face fills with fury. I just wondered if Voldemort seen her die?
    Yes. Neville killed Nagini at the entrance. They both saw it happen. That's why Harry looks back at Voldemort like "ok what now mother fucker?"
  • Ah, thank you that helps a lot. I wasn't too sure. Thank you.
  • Ah, thank you that helps a lot. I wasn't too sure. Thank you.
  • Also, is it wrong that Voldemort and Nagini are my favorite characters? All my friends tell me it defeats the object of Harry Potter. I would just like to know if there are any fans of Voldemort and Nagini?
  • Oh, okay. Thank you. Haha. :P
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Voldemort in HBP because he's so mysterious
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Toini01Toini01 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    PS : described as the most dangerous wizard, scary when Harry is in the forest, desperate : he wants his body back.
    COS : cold, ambitious, too sure of himself whcih leads him to his death.
    POA : Invisible.
    GOF : New in his body, happy, too sure of himself again, over exagerated, no more love in him.
    OOTP : A bit overexagerated. The rest is like in GOF.
    HBP : mysterious, cold, scary, faces of the actual voldemort revealed one by one.
    DH1 : Scary, dangerous, angry.
    DH2 : Dangerous, scary (Malefoy Mannor when Voldemort walks in blood), desperate, affraid.
    "Where it all started... "
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "It all ends here... "
  • blackvenomblackvenom Posts: 3,257
    PS: Fool
    CoS: Loser
    GoF: Bitch on drugs
    OotP: Kinky
    HBP: Weirdo
    DH1: Playful
    DH2: All the aforementioned adjectives altogether
  • SlanteeSlantee Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭
    You should do Harry next!

Hehehe.
    :|

Lord Stafford.
  • In the scene at Malfoy Manor what spell does Voldemort use in the Massacre? It seems to green but after the bodies, the floor, Nagini and Voldemort's feet are drenched in blood. I was unaware th killing curse did that. So does he use Sectumsempra or the killing curse to kill the Goblins and Death Eaters?
  • PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    He probably flung heaps of curses around. He is the Dark Lord after all.
    imageimage
    In the scene at Malfoy Manor what spell does Voldemort use in the Massacre? It seems to green but after the bodies, the floor, Nagini and Voldemort's feet are drenched in blood. I was unaware th killing curse did that. So does he use Sectumsempra or the killing curse to kill the Goblins and Death Eaters?
    It was the Killing Curse.

Lord Stafford.
    In the scene at Malfoy Manor what spell does Voldemort use in the Massacre? It seems to green but after the bodies, the floor, Nagini and Voldemort's feet are drenched in blood. I was unaware th killing curse did that. So does he use Sectumsempra or the killing curse to kill the Goblins and Death Eaters?
    Well it must have been the same spell he used against Snape before Nagini attacks him. It just makes him bleed (sectumsempra ?) combined with a killing curse.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "It all ends here... "
    Well it must have been the same spell he used against Snape before Nagini attacks him. It just makes him bleed (sectumsempra ?) combined with a killing curse.
    Well, ever since OOTP, they've always elaborated on the effect of the Killing Curse. Apparently, it's no longer instant. The blood was just there for what it made us feel. Sickness and repulsion.

Lord Stafford.
    Well, ever since OOTP, they've always elaborated on the effect of the Killing Curse. Apparently, it's no longer instant. The blood was just there for what it made us feel. Sickness and repulsion.

Lord Stafford.
    Or maybe Voldemort was soo angry that he made the dead boddy bleed because, knowing how ha was supposed to be angry it could be perfectly imaginable.
    The very last shot we get of him (very quiet shot) while Harry gets out of the water might be the moment when he just stops everything and starts thinking about what to do next.
    "It all ends here... "
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, te killing curse has been different, and there's no harm in that. A reason that's important because it leves no signs, so it helps with the riddle story and disbelief with Cedric

Though I doubt anyone could deny bloody works in the film. Him walking through that like no big deal, damn....
    Yeah, te killing curse has been different, and there's no harm in that. A reason that's important because it leves no signs, so it helps with the riddle story and disbelief with Cedric

Though I doubt anyone could deny bloody works in the film. Him walking through that like no big deal, damn....
    Well the biggest change of the killing curse is when Voldemort "kills" Harry.
    It isn't just a light from the wand and a green light on Harry's body. It's like a hudge fluide line which explodes on Harry in a white light.
    I loved how when Voldemort "killed" Harry you could feel all the anger in him being thrown out with that spell. Anger does makes someone powerful sometimes :p
    "It all ends here... "
  • Did Voldemort love Nagini?
    No. He would claim to enjoy her company, but it was all for his Horcrux that was inside of her.

Lord Stafford.
  • Nagini7Nagini7 Posts: 14
    Ah, I see thank you. I was just a bit confused at the end of DH part two when Nagini is killed his eyes seemed kind of teary.
    Well, he had just lost his last Horcrux. That, once more, made him mortal.

Lord Stafford.
  • Lord_DarkeyesLord_Darkeyes Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    1- Mysterious Creeper
    2- Teen who was never laid
    3- Omnipresent
    4- Slow talking, iconic-villian wannabe
    5- Real villain who throws glass at people
    6- Creeper still as a child
    7.1- Snake relevant kindly gentleman
    7.2- Vulnerable drunk man; NEEEEYYAAHH
    imageimageimage

• Xjp5Xjp5 Posts: 3
    1: Freaky freak who's hungry.
    2: Evil ruthless teen.
    4: Epic, evil, disgusting.
    5: Madman who really hates being called Tom.
    6: Weird crazy kid who wants to kill 7 people.
    7 Part 1: Happy evil motherfucker.
    7 Part 2: Basically, Voldemort thinks about Harry: Fuck that bitch!