Home Movies
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Did Voldemort get hit with the killing curse TWICE in Part 2?

Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Movies
I know this seems out of the ordinary (and out of the blue) in any circumstances, even considering that Harry survived it twice, but I'm only going by what I've heard from others debating, this isn't what I believe, though i don't find it to be totally stupid and impossible. It is a possibility. Perhaps i would like to believe it, as Voldemort is my favourite character and is as powerful or almost as powerful as Dumbledore.

The reason why i bring this up is simple... i'm looking at one thing in particular, and it is when you see Ron and Hermione clutching each other, crying, during the final duel. Immediately after that, you see Voldemort writhing in agony. Also, the green light is shown sinking into his body at this same moment. The question is if he survived that first one. Was he still powerful enough do so? We all know how powerful he is, i'm just wondering if this is showing that. It certainly doesn't appear like he is doing what he is doing (being in pain, and apparently crying) because of Nagini... because that is what only makes him mortal, it wouldn't break the spell.

Is this yet another example of the filmmakers breaking head canon laws?! Or am i right in the possibility?

Lord Stafford.

Comments

• Cyber-LogicCyber-Logic Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    After that shot of Ron and Hermione clutching each other... Voldemort sees Nagini get die and kinda breaks off his and Harry's spells. He doesn't get hit by the Killing Curse, the connection just sort of falls apart in the middle:

The green light sinking into his hand is AFTER Harry and Voldemort fire the spells the second time, and the red light overtakes the green one.

• SlanteeSlantee Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was another sign of how weak Voldemort was becoming with the gradual destruction of his horcruxes, and the destruction of Nagini his last horcrux, forced him to interrupt the duel, and that's what it probably is.
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    @CB

Oh, i know that shot at the top, but i was thinking for a minute that when the camera is on Voldemort (close up) the spell seems to go into him, that is why he writhes. I suppose i was mistaken, but i did not think of it first.

Lord Stafford.
  • Cyber-LogicCyber-Logic Posts: 508 ✭✭
    @CB

Oh, i know that shot at the top, but i was thinking for a minute that when the camera is on Voldemort (close up) the spell seems to go into him, that is why he writhes. I suppose i was mistaken, but i did not think of it first.

Lord Stafford.
    Ah, well.. it looks more like him breaking off the spell in anguish after seeing Nagini get killed. It was a huge blow to him, after all, and like Ansh said- it was a sign of how weak he was becoming.

Yes, i suppose so.

Lord Stafford.
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine had no idea how Voldemort died. I like how the light sinks into his hand, but I think the shot needed to be longer for the audience to take it in.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine had no idea how Voldemort died. I like how the light sinks into his hand, but I think the shot needed to be longer for the audience to take it in.
    Wasn't it pretty obvious that the red spell was pushing the green spell back? I thought it was...
  • NickNick Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait so to clarify DID HE GET HIT TWICE OR NOT? IF HE DID IT WAS A PRETTY BIG FAIL ON THE PART OF THE FILMMAKERS.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait so to clarify DID HE GET HIT TWICE OR NOT? IF HE DID IT WAS A PRETTY BIG FAIL ON THE PART OF THE FILMMAKERS.
    No. The first time it (the spell) dies and fades away. The second time, Harry's spell pushes Voldy's spell back into the Elder Wand and then into him.
  • NickNick Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ Ok that makes much more sense!!!
    Wasn't it pretty obvious that the red spell was pushing the green spell back? I thought it was...
    Yes, but you don't see the light sinking into his hand unless you really pay attention.
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but you don't see the light sinking into his hand unless you really pay attention.
    See I'm personally a fan of not only paying attention to things, but discovering details later on.
    edited September 2011
    It's not just a detail, as proved by my friend's confusion on how he died exactly, but I don't have a problem with it. Merely pointing out that it's perhaps a bit too subtle for general audiences.
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good, The more it confuses the general audience, the better. The filthy swines don't deserve good cinema.

I'm... just messing with you, promise. :p
    See I'm personally a fan of not only paying attention to things, but discovering details later on.
    Same here. It's fairly obvious if you take notice of something that is generally known as The Elder Wand. Fair enough, on the internet, that can't be said.

Lord Stafford.
  • GinaCGinaC Posts: 828 ✭✭
    Same here. It's fairly obvious if you take notice of something that is generally known as The Elder Wand. Fair enough, on the internet, that can't be said.

Lord Stafford.
    Yeah, I think lots of non-book-readers have no idea that a killing curse rebounded. I think most people are probably watching Voldemort's face and wouldn't notice the green going into his hand. If that doesn't bother y'all, that's just fine, but Pumpkinjuice is probably correct to say that it confuses the general audience. Somehow I doubt that's what the filmmakers wanted.... But still, I like that image, and the look on Voldemort's face as he watches it go into his hand!
    Oh, i know all that. I agree with many of Pumpkins sentiments.

Lord Stafford.

Lord Stafford.
    Yeah, I think lots of non-book-readers have no idea that a killing curse rebounded. I think most people are probably watching Voldemort's face and wouldn't notice the green going into his hand. If that doesn't bother y'all, that's just fine, but Pumpkinjuice is probably correct to say that it confuses the general audience. Somehow I doubt that's what the filmmakers wanted.... But still, I like that image, and the look on Voldemort's face as he watches it go into his hand!
    Yeah, the image is composed in a way that first keeps the focus of your attention on his face, then it glides down as he looks on his wand or hand, but it doesn't linger enough for you to notice his blackened hand.
    I appreciate that it can take a second viewing as a realisation.

Lord Stafford.
    edited September 2011
    Good, The more it confuses the general audience, the better. The filthy swines don't deserve good cinema.

I'm... just messing with you, promise. :p
    Good because otherwise you would have offended the millions of film fans only and I would have written a paragraph about how a film ought to make sense without possessing any book knowledge. DH 1 does not due to its overly faithfulness to the source material. OotP does for 95 % of the film until the convuluted prophecy resolution.
    edited September 2011
    I appreciate that it can take a second viewing as a realisation.

Lord Stafford.
    I agree with Gina that it's not intentional.

In other words, Darth, it's not about the audience not paying attention, it's about some fault in the duration of the shot.
    Post edited by Pumpkinjuice on