Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in General
Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Book One:image

Book Two:image

Book Three: image

Book Four: image

Book Five: image

Heroes of Olympus:

Book One: image

Book Two(NEW): image

Book Three:The Mark of Athena: Released Fall 2012
Post edited by aaron on

Comments

• RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    movie sucked
  • AllStar87AllStar87 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    movie sucked
    Indeed, even though Christopher Columbus directed it. :(

• kaileyelisabethkaileyelisabeth Posts: 662 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Loved the books, hated the movie. Are they adapting Sea of Monsters as well?
    Photobucket
  • Haylee12Haylee12 Posts: 294
    S
    Loved the books, hated the movie. Are they adapting Sea of Monsters as well?
    Same here. I believe they are.
    imageimage
  • MacMac Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭
    Even Lady Gaga song was featured there..LMAO.
  • I've read the first three books. They were just ok. I'm not a huge fan of Rick Riordan style of writing. Everything is portrayed in a really childish way, and I could say it's a infantile literature than a young-adult one.

And the movie is just terrible. I don't even have words to describe it
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Movie was NOTHING like the book, I was really disappointed in it, Annabeth doesn't even have black/brown hair! And the main three characters are not even 16 in the book, they are 12.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    Loved the books when I was a couple years younger, the fifth one especially was the best finale I could ask for. Terrible movie though.
    imageimageimage
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    movie sucked

Hmm, wonder why it sucked then? ;)
  • ezanieezanie Posts: 167 ✭✭
    i have read all the books including The Lost Hero and love it soooo much! Eagerly await for The Son of Neptune now! woot! :D
    i have read all the books including The Lost Hero and love it soooo much! Eagerly await for The Son of Neptune now! woot! :D
    SAME HERE! :D
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it has been CONFIRMED that the second book will be hitting the big screen in 2013 but christopher columbus will not be back to direct.
    I read The Lost Hero. IMO it's kind of spoiling the original series by bringing some of the characters back, and he's cramming in this series with the Egyptian gods series, so it isn't as well-written or comedic. It was still an okay read, but not nearly as good as Percy Jackson's comedic caliber.
    imageimageimage
  • Lord_DarkeyesLord_Darkeyes Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    I hated the books from the start. For some reason, I decided to read the entire series.
    image image image

• Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    movie sucked

Because it was a pathetic story. A director can't change that, he just works with what he has got, which isn't alot in this case.

Lord Stafford.

• IronbellyIronbelly Posts: 167
    My kids loved the books, but not as much as the Harry Potter series. We are re-reading HP now, and my kids (especially my oldest, who is 10) like to compare the writing styles.

We were all pretty disappointed by the Percy Jackson movie. The script combined several books together and left out some major characters (like Aries!!!) and that was beyond making Annabeth anything but blonde.
    Photobucket
  • CarneCarne Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭
    I have only seen the movie, but that was some boring crap.
  • Soular15Soular15 Posts: 136
    I like this series; I used to LOVE it when I first read it, but you've got to admit it's a bit childish... but I really like it, and I hated the movie. I don't like the new series with Jason in it half as much as the Percy Jackson series, but I don't not like them.
    ''
    Pottermore account: AurorNight91
    edited August 2011
    movie sucked

Because it was a pathetic story. A director can't change that, he just works with what he has got, which isn't alot in this case.

Lord Stafford.

It is most certainly NOT a pathetic story, the book garnished very, VERY positive reviews. A director should then have NO PROBLEM adapting something with positive reviews. In this case, there was a lot wrong with the screenwriting, and Columbus either encouraged the changes or just accepted them. Either way, there is blame to be given, and Columbus can accept some of it.
    Some of it, yes. So can the screenwriter.

Lord Stafford.
    Some of it, yes. So can the screenwriter.

Lord Stafford.
    Absolutely. The script wasn't good.
    movie sucked

Lord Stafford.

It is most certainly NOT a pathetic story, the book garnished very, VERY positive reviews. A director should then have NO PROBLEM adapting something with positive reviews. In this case, there was a lot wrong with the screenwriting, and Columbus either encouraged the changes or just accepted them. Either way, there is blame to be given, and Columbus can accept some of it.
    Yes IRLKG is right. The story was fantastic, but Columbus and Titley got it all wrong. They changed the main focus of the story, created the quest across America for an entirely different purpose, added plot points that weren't in the book, not to mention screwing up the vision of the camp, Grover (he is white, and isn't a pimp), and the trio's ages. He also ignored the prophetic arc of the series (which won't work now that they're making a sequel) and they cut the main villain of the entire series. 8-|
    imageimageimage
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember that the movie was produced by FOX and they recently started to do a trend of butcher films. Like Babylon A.D., also in the teaser trailer of the film, Percy arrives to Empire State Bulding in a taxi, and goes to Mount Olympus alone, like in the book. Which it proofs that Colombus possibly made a film much more faithful to the book, but FOX made him reshoot the film and change the script.
    This trailer had me jizzing. It looked great, and idk about you, but the cinematography here looks a lot better than the films :/

Ah well, hopefully the sequel will be better.
    (you can hear a part of the cue The Parthenon which doesn't sound in the film)

(Nice to see Grover and Annabeth kicking ass)

yonythemoony, I forgot how much I love the first deleted scene you posted. :X
    :) My favorite is the one with Grover talking about Thalia.
    edited August 2011
    (you can hear a part of the cue The Parthenon which doesn't sound in the film)

THAT'S HOW EVERY GODDAMN SCENE SHOULD HAVE BEEN BETWEEN THEM! GAHHHH!
    X(
    I just don't even have any hope for the series now. It's already too late to stay true to the franchise's spirit. It's broken, lost, the first film got so many things wrong... :(
    imageimageimage
    I just don't even have any hope for the series now. It's already too late to stay true to the franchise's spirit. It's broken, lost, the first film got so many things wrong... :(
    Just like Eragon :(
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea but eragon didnt even get a sequel i have no clue why there even bothering. im sure it will BOMB harder than the first one.
  • JasonJason Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think they will ever reboot this in the future? I don't see a problem with that, seeing as how the film actually sucked.
  • kathiyekathiye Posts: 108
    Why can't film-makers just stick with the book? It's already a great series, it doesn't need to be changed.

With Harry Potter, even though there were some changes, compared to most other films it wasn't changed much at all. And most people think that the films are great. Coincidence?
    Photobucket
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll wait a few years so *I* can make a proper adaptation 8)

Why can't film-makers just stick with the book? It's already a great series, it doesn't need to be changed.

With Harry Potter, even though there were some changes, compared to most other films it wasn't changed much at all. And most people think that the films are great. Coincidence?
    Harry Potter is the closest adapted film series to a book that I can think of, ever. It wasn't that PJ changed little things, they changed entire plot points. Like, imagine not even having fluffy in SS, or the dementors not attacking harry on the train in PoA :p
    If this film ever gets rebooted, I have to be the one directing it. LOL, I know it sounds stupid, but I have visions in my head about how the first and last films would play out. And I believe I'd stay true to the fans and the series, while still making a great movie.
    imageimageimage
    I don't think it's film-makers's fault. Like I said, FOX has a trend of butchering films, the teaser trailer and the deleted scenes are a proof of it.
  • Festax0333Festax0333 Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it has potential to be a very good film series...if they x\start over

btw i love the deleted scene about grover
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • kathiyekathiye Posts: 108
    it has potential to be a very good film series...if they x\start over

btw i love the deleted scene about grover
    Yeah, they'd have to start right over. The one thing I think I agree about is Logan Lerman for Percy... ;)
    Photobucket
    edited August 2011
    Logan Lerman for Percy, but if only they'd grabbed him when he was younger. They'd have to shoot all the films back to back if they wanted to keep his appearance young, he's aging fast--otherwise, they'd have to change something about the Great Prophecy. If they even had included the Great Prophecy. Or Clarisse, or Ares. Or even fucking Kronos. :|
    imageimageimage
    I'm glad Chris Columbus will not be returning for the 2nd film, he made this movie a piece of dog shit.
  • RainJinx8RainJinx8 Posts: 158
    The sequal can't be better because they changed the entire plot for the first movie. They made Luke the bad gut, instead of revealing Kronos.
  • JasonJason Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    I don't see how they can fix the mistakes the first one left them with. It will better just to reboot the series, if they want.
    movie sucked

Lord Stafford.

Yes IRLKG is right. The story was fantastic, but Columbus and Titley got it all wrong. They changed the main focus of the story, created the quest across America for an entirely different purpose, added plot points that weren't in the book, not to mention screwing up the vision of the camp, Grover (he is white, and isn't a pimp), and the trio's ages. He also ignored the prophetic arc of the series (which won't work now that they're making a sequel) and they cut the main villain of the entire series. 8-|
    Added plot points that weren't in the book? That sounds incredibly familiar. :-?

Lord Stafford.
    No, you don't understand. They literally took a side road from the book. It's hardly what I would call "loosely based." Nothing like Harry Potter.
    imageimageimage
    What about HBP, then?

Lord Stafford.
    Nope, they completely derailed the story. I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation. And the book was only like 350 pages, whereas HBP was almost 700. :|
    imageimageimage
    You're right. I don't understand Percy Jackson, but i do understand Potter.

Lord Stafford.
  • GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Percy Jackson is the
    living proof of why
    Harry Potter fans should
    be eternally grateful.

We got the BEST CINEMATIC
    FRANCHISE of all time, which
    is a VERY RARE thing. Imagine
    if they handled Philosopher's
    Stone the same way they handled
    The Lightning Thief.