Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Rate/Review the Last Movie or TV Show You Watched

Comments

• RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY (1/12)

A film visually entertaining and wih deep meaning with alot of slow parts. The middle section is really slow with a great start. In the end you understand what the film was trying to convey. Ben Stiller was great.

Rating- 7/10
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deranged - 0/10

Complete suck! The title screen has a deeper meaning than the whole film.

Low budget horror tends to spit out 2 good ideas a year and 20 turds.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 55 ✭✭

True Detective - "The Long Bright Dark"

The premise of the show reminds me a lot of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, set in a small redneck town that is miles from anywhere and is basically a void where the people have no connection with the outside world. The religious and community-based aspect of the show serves to turn Rustin Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) into an outcast due to his pessimistic real-world views.

The dynamic between himself and his partner Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson) is a compelling contrast, the people-oriented Christian stuck with the depressed philosophical loner.

The show makes excellent use of non-linear storytelling to create a storyline that will show the changes these characters have gone through over the course of 17 years as well as how the events of the past inform the present, as the episode ends with a very intriguing revelation that adds a second mystery to the storyline.

Very interesting pilot that hooks you from the get-go and leaves you dying to know more after it ends.

5/5
    text
    Blood Simple - 82/100

You can tell Sam Raimi had influences on the Coen Brothers first film but it solidifies itself as a stableford in the rest of their lineup.

There is such a lack of good communication between the characters that sometimes you just want to yell "Quit Assuming!!!" At the screen.

Certain features that will follow the Coen's throughout their career are present like strange inclusion of plumbing at the end, heavy irony, and the chasing of money.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lone Survivor - A+

Lone Survivor stars Mark Wahlberg, as you guessed it the 'Lone Survivor'. The movie is very emotional and when things happen, you feel as if you are there with them.
    Acting was terrific. The cam was kinda shady during action scenes but that wasn't a big problem. The movie feels too realistic and reminds you how horrible war really is. If you have the chance, go see this movie. You won't regret it.
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - C+
    Jack Ryan stars Chris Pine, but this is a totally different Jack Ryan, not the one with Harrison Ford. In fact, they have the same name and job but they are no way related to each other. Jack Ryan has great action scenes and some good dialogue. But the characters feel a bit bland, and some of the movie felt a bit rushed. The camera was a bit shaky, but that really didn't bother me. It gave me a few laughs and I was impressed with Kenneth Branagh. He played a nice bad guy and hats off to him for the great action directing.

Jack Ryan is 116 minutes long with credits and is a great action flick.
    Sherlock Jr. - 88/100

My favorite silent film from Buster Keaton. It is far and beyond those shitty documentaries or period pieces from that day.

• fawke83fawke83 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to update my reviews in a while. Let's go on an Oscar time:

-American Hustle: another hitmark on David O' Russell already respected resumée, it's practically an actor's movie, through and through, with a script filled with extravaganza and crazy situations, and pitch-perfect performances all around, it is nonetheless a wild and fun ride. 8.5/10

-The Wolf of Wall Street: this feels like the "hardcore version of American Hustle", although with Scorsese's sign all around, and it comes to show once again why Scorsese is still my favorite filmmaker: not bound by a particular style, the man, in his 72 years old, is a kinetic director, and not scared to push the limits. A ballsy and apeshit crazy retelling of Jordan Belfort's life as a stock broker, the movie, even in it's three hours long, never loses momentum, and brings together another Oscar-worthy performance of Leo DiCaprio, and one of my favorites from him in a long time (not to mention the rest of the cast, Terence Winter's brilliant and fast-paced script). I had a blast. 9.5/10

P.S.: I'm really trying to understand all the talk about the movie glorifying Belfort and all those yuppies' lifes. I mean, those guys were rich, but at the cost of a ton of cocaine and drugs to keep them awake; Stratton Oakmont looked like a fucking Sex Zone, the kind of humor here was over-the-top and really funny, but because the situations were so pathetic. For me, it's easy to compare Jordan Belfort to Walter White: even with really different stories and reasons, both were those "bad guys" that you get kinda charmed for, but the more the story goes, you start to see the monsters they are (I mean, the whole scene with Belfort punching his wife and taking his daughter on the car felt downright despicable). The only difference is that WW is a calculating monster; Belfort is the unstoppable, train-wreck monster. For me, the movie had humor, but didn't shy away from showing any of the crap they did, or their infamous attitudes.

-12 Years a Slave: a powerful elegy to survival, one that is even more powerful than Gravity, may not be the movie of slavery everyone will sit down and swallow, but it is certainly the one we needed. It is hard to stomach, even more when remembering the list of horrible acts we see all the slaves suffer, specially our protagonist, Solomon Northup (Chiwetel Ejiofor, in a starmaking performance, no doubt) and Patsey (Lupita Nyong'o, in not just a breakthrough performance, but one that will give her the Oscar, mark my words), but thankfully, the movie gives us a final moment of relief and joy. My bet for Best Picture Oscar, and honestly, even liking more other movies like WoWS and Gravity, I wouldn't be bothered the least, in seeing this one win the top prize. 8.5/10
    Quaalude fight: because drunk fight is too mainstream.
    Ride Along - A-
    I laughed so much during this movie. Kevin Hart just killed it, the chemistry between him and Ice Cube was terrific. The only problem was that some things were a bit too predictable, but that really didn't bother me that much. If you want a nice action/comedy flick, go see this movie. Laughed my ass off
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, saw it yesterday. I loved that the first half felt like Training Day, and they even have Hart spoofing Denzel's speech to the bikers.
    Anchorman 2 - B-
    There's always those stupid-humor movies and Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues is on of them. I loved the movie, but it felt weak at some points, like trying to hard to be funny, and yes, it did make me laugh my ass off. I had a good time.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    Her. Wtf. Omg. I can't/10

So damn emotional
    imageimageimage
  • Well, there's two. TV show and movie.
    TV Show:
    Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    OMG I LOVE THIS SHOW! I'm a Marvel junkie and this show is pure awesomesauce. Agent Coulson knocks it out of the park with his stellar character performance, and I LOVE the way he folds his arms like he's got some kind of short arm issue. It's weird, but totally fits his character. If you love comics and Marvel is your favorite, or you respect it at least for Stan Lee's ultimate MARVELous ability to tell stories and give each character a very rich background and how he connects every character together in the great Marvel universe. YEAH BABY!

MOVIE:
    THOR: The Dark World
    Ok who is NOT in love with elves, let alone Dark elves?! Huh? Huh??? I love THOR, actually I love LOKI. I have a ladyboner for his character as well as Tom himself. The Dark World is more fantastic then the last. If you even remotely like Marvel comics, you NEED to go see this movie! It helps to see the first one ...first, before seeing TDW, because there are things that you may not understand.... But introducing dark elves was sheer genius. I never thought that Stan would introduce dark elves into the realm of Asgard and the story of Thor and Loki. I love elves, and particularly fell in love with them from J.R.R. Tolkien's books - The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings... His ability to tell a story that is very diverse in all kinds of characters and species. Sheer genius again!
  • Samch92Samch92 Posts: 6,398 mod

Well, there's two. TV show and movie.
    TV Show:
    Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    OMG I LOVE THIS SHOW! I'm a Marvel junkie and this show is pure awesomesauce. Agent Coulson knocks it out of the park with his stellar character performance, and I LOVE the way he folds his arms like he's got some kind of short arm issue. It's weird, but totally fits his character. If you love comics and Marvel is your favorite, or you respect it at least for Stan Lee's ultimate MARVELous ability to tell stories and give each character a very rich background and how he connects every character together in the great Marvel universe. YEAH BABY!

MOVIE:
    THOR: The Dark World
    Ok who is NOT in love with elves, let alone Dark elves?! Huh? Huh??? I love THOR, actually I love LOKI. I have a ladyboner for his character as well as Tom himself. The Dark World is more fantastic then the last. If you even remotely like Marvel comics, you NEED to go see this movie! It helps to see the first one ...first, before seeing TDW, because there are things that you may not understand.... But introducing dark elves was sheer genius. I never thought that Stan would introduce dark elves into the realm of Asgard and the story of Thor and Loki. I love elves, and particularly fell in love with them from J.R.R. Tolkien's books - The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings... His ability to tell a story that is very diverse in all kinds of characters and species. Sheer genius again!

Good reviews and just want it to say welcome aboard @Loki_Laufeyson
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dallas Buyers Club - 8.5/10
    imageimageimage
    Okay, now that I can actually write reviews:

Her - Now that I've had some time to think and mull over the film, it has cemented itself in my memory as one of the best and most original films of the year. It's absolutely stunning, both heart-wrenching and hilarious. Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson (or at least, her voice) both give excellent performances, but the true powerhouse behind this film is writer/director Spike Jonze, whose script is a lovely meditation on love and sexuality in the age of technology and connection. I thought American Hustle's script was great, but this needs to win the Oscar for Original Screenplay. I haven't seen anything else like it all year. It's surreal, powerful, incredibly funny and so, so emotional. Never would I expect that a scene involving a man "having sex" with his computer and talking with his OS could be so poignant or touching. 9.5/10

Dallas Buyers Club - It's gritty, it's emotional, and I'll be damned if it doesn't feature two of the best acting performances of the year, both of which are utterly transformative roles. Jared Leto deserves props for taking on the transgender role of Rayon as well as he did, but he also brought some insane acting chops to the part which will surely give him that Supporting Actor Oscar. But then there's McConaughey...it's easily the best performance I've seen all year of any actor or actress. Simply jaw-dropping, McConaughey embodies Ron Woodroof so perfectly and believably portrays Ron Woodroof as a devil-may-care Texas cowboy who transforms into a drug-smugging AIDS patient who is fighting for his life. It's an Oscar-worthy turn for sure, and I'll be shocked if he doesn't get the award (though I won't necessarily be unhappy.) The film isn't as powerful as I hoped it would be, but still a wonderful script boosted by these incredible actors makes for a well-made film. 8.5/10
    imageimageimage
    And, regarding Her, don't just take my word for it:

That is the sound of a deserving Best Original Score.
    imageimageimage
    Man there's a lot of buzz around this movie and you guys keep saying its amazing so its definitely on my to watch list!
    Here are some more I've been watching, on a real frenzy actually:

-Frozen: beautiful story, showing that, once again, Disney is at it's top game when adapting fairy tales, and the movie clearly feels like a Disney Renaissance-Pixar hybrid. All the characters are colorful and beautifully constructed (giving even space for some plot twists), and the musical numbers may be the best of an animation since The Beauty and the Beast, Let It Go being the obvious showstopper, and probable winner of Best Original Song at the Oscars (even if my support is for The Moon Song). - 8.5/10

-Her: I don't have better words than aaron's to describe this movie. All the acting here is beautiful, particulary the main trio of Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson (boo Oscars, cut this "not this" and "not that", and start allowing acting nominations for mo-cap and voice work, Johansson sincerely deserved here) and Amy Adams (geez, will this girl ever do a bad acting?); the script, shit I don't even know what to say, as an aspiring screenwriter, I love David O Russell, and he is a man who is gonna win a lot of awards, but for Original Screenplay, my cheers are gonna be with Spike Jonze, he deserves, such a nuanced and heart-tugging story, one of my favorites of the year. 9.5/10

-Dallas Buyers Club: talking about aaron, I think he's been stalking me, we watched this movie on the exact same day, yesterday, hahahahahah. But well, now to the main subject, this movie did surprised me, what a nice story, the writers did walk through a fine line, to create a empathetic protagonist, without sounding preachy to his cause. But what really carries this movie is the astonishing performances of Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, who carry much of a funny yet profound chemistry. 8.5/10

P.S.: in this point, I must admit, McConaughey is really impressive, and I won't bother see him win the Oscar. But honestly, having left only Bruce Dern to watch, of the nominees, the real deserved of the prize would be Chiwetel Ejiofor, whom I felt carried the whole 12 Years a Slave with such power and emotion that felt more than his fellow nominees. Find him difficult to win, though.

-Short Term 12: maaannn, what a pleasant surprise! The indie world really shone this past year, because they are the proof that a brilliant movie is made with decent directing, a good story and acting, not with fucking "on-the-stratosphere" budget, CGI and star power. A beautiful and complex movie about choices, inner demons and the bond that supervisors can create with foster kids, it reveals a brilliant Brie Larson, in what will be remembered as her breakthrough role (Meryl Streep is always a pleasure to watch, but this wasn't her year, she could've been dumped on the Oscar nomination by a number of fine gals, and Larson was definitely one of them), with a supporting cast equally impressive and revealing (remember names like Keith Stanfield and Kaitlin Dever), and a story at times warm and funny, at times heart-wrenching and emotional. Do give this one a chance, buddies, you will not regret. 9.0/10
    aaron said:

And, regarding Her, don't just take my word for it:

That is the sound of a deserving Best Original Score.

Truly beautiful. :'D

But I must be honest: need to watch Gravity again, because I still have really awesome memories of that score. It's hard for me to call my favorite right now, or the best deserving at the Oscars (although I think this will probably go to Steven Price anyway).
    Yeah it's been awhile since I've seen Gravity or 12 Years a Slave and since both are frontrunners, I should probably reacquaint myself.

Anyways, only three BP noms left to see--Wolf of Wall Street, Nebraska and Philomena. And one month left. Hopefully I can do it. :D
    imageimageimage
  • nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, while we're all talking about her, I thought I'd chime in seeing as I loved that film to death.

Her - Spike Jonze’s Her is one of the most soulful and honest perspective’s of love, relationships and the subsequent state of loneliness. Joaquin Phoenix is terrific as Theodore and I believe he is one of the most explored and adroitly developed characters in recent film, hugely due to the original script that Jonze has written so truthfully and eloquently. He has created a love story that shines above all other love stories and has given us a nuanced depiction of that. He shows many forms of love and its dimensions, but most importantly, he shows us that physical attraction is not a relationships necessity, but the ability to connect with someone through a voice; through a personality - that, is what conquers. It’s a very subjective experience and can be very personal too at times, but it still has a distinct quality that makes it an appropriate movie going experience for anyone. It manages to connect with the audience very deeply, but its ability to allow the audience to both empathise and sympathise with Theodore is one of the films finest attributes. Jonze’s direction is beautiful, harsh and fittingly funny all at the same time. It’s shot magnificently and its art direction even stands up there with the likes of Wes Anderson’s often vibrant films. Arcade Fire delivers a unique score that is subtle enough to fit in perfectly with the tone of the film. 10/10

It needs to win Best Screenplay. No other film deserves it more than this one.
  • Alright, while we're all talking about her, I thought I'd chime in seeing as I loved that film to death.

Her - Spike Jonze’s Her is one of the most soulful and honest perspective’s of love, relationships and the subsequent state of loneliness. Joaquin Phoenix is terrific as Theodore and I believe he is one of the most explored and adroitly developed characters in recent film, hugely due to the original script that Jonze has written so truthfully and eloquently. He has created a love story that shines above all other love stories and has given us a nuanced depiction of that. He shows many forms of love and its dimensions, but most importantly, he shows us that physical attraction is not a relationships necessity, but the ability to connect with someone through a voice; through a personality - that, is what conquers. It’s a very subjective experience and can be very personal too at times, but it still has a distinct quality that makes it an appropriate movie going experience for anyone. It manages to connect with the audience very deeply, but its ability to allow the audience to both empathise and sympathise with Theodore is one of the films finest attributes. Jonze’s direction is beautiful, harsh and fittingly funny all at the same time. It’s shot magnificently and its art direction even stands up there with the likes of Wes Anderson’s often vibrant films. Arcade Fire delivers a unique score that is subtle enough to fit in perfectly with the tone of the film. 10/10

It needs to win Best Screenplay. No other film deserves it more than this one.

ok ok. I wanted to see this when it came out, now I REALLY want to see this. Not seeing it yet, however many people can form a generic description of the movie via previews alone. And as I heard before from someone else, it is our relentless drive for a connection to another person or in this movie's case "person" .... vocal responses are about half of what a relationship with someone else consist of. Our relentless drive to connect and the cold hard truth of loneliness. being one with ourselves, but still long for a connection to other people, or just people's voices. The constant need for this connection. It also makes me think of that movie Cast Away with Tom Hanks. Being stranded somewhere with no other human or vocal connection to someone else can drive a person mad. As we see Tom Hanks perform so well. So in order for a human that is stranded alone, whether it's mentally, emotionally or physically, we compensate by creating something else that brings us that comfort. Hanks in his character, developed another "human" type being with a volley ball. Made a face on it so he can connect to it as looking upon another human face. Something that gives him an awareness of not only the fact that he's truly alone, but yet he really isn't. It's in an abstract performance that shows us our true need to interact with other human beings, or, in this case of the movie Her, a vocal connection. Someone to communicate to us.
    So yah, gotta see "Her" now.

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frozen - oh god that was amazing

I don't know why, but the most amazing movies I don't expect seem NOT to come from Pixar. Shrek, How to train your dragon, tangled, and now this. Disney animated movies are doing better than Pixar now!

Seriously though this movie was spectacular. Soundtrack is addicting :p
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martin1 said:

I don't know why, but the most amazing movies I don't expect seem NOT to come from Pixar. Shrek, How to train your dragon, tangled, and now this. Disney animated movies are doing better than Pixar now!

Love all these movies. Shrek is fantastic, Tangled felt like a classic Disney film and How to Train your Dragon should have won the oscar for best animated movie over Toy Story 3. I love Pixar though, especially Wall-E and Up in recent years.
    The Wolf of Wall Street - 9.5/10. A modern masterpiece. Scorsese in his finest form, this is a true American film and easily one of the best of the year. I think it deserves Best Adapted Screenplay over 12 Years a Slave, but it really deserves Best Editing. It's a shame Thelma Schoonmaker's work wasn't even nominated. It's fantastic stuff.
    imageimageimage
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod

Martin1 said:

Shrek is fantastic,
    Shrek is love. Shrek is life.

Martin1 said:

Love all these movies. Shrek is fantastic, Tangled felt like a classic Disney film and How to Train your Dragon should have won the oscar for best animated movie over Toy Story 3. I love Pixar though, especially Wall-E and Up in recent years.
    HTTYD is my favorited animated film ever, ugh it's just fucking perfection

True Detective - "The Long Bright Dark"

The premise of the show reminds me a lot of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, set in a small redneck town that is miles from anywhere and is basically a void where the people have no connection with the outside world. The religious and community-based aspect of the show serves to turn Rustin Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) into an outcast due to his pessimistic real-world views.

The dynamic between himself and his partner Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson) is a compelling contrast, the people-oriented Christian stuck with the depressed philosophical loner.

The show makes excellent use of non-linear storytelling to create a storyline that will show the changes these characters have gone through over the course of 17 years as well as how the events of the past inform the present, as the episode ends with a very intriguing revelation that adds a second mystery to the storyline.

Very interesting pilot that hooks you from the get-go and leaves you dying to know more after it ends.

5/5

Recently watched all four episodes. Fantastic stuff, especially the script and the acting. That tracking shot at the end of episode 4 rivals some of the best things I've seen in television and film recently. It's just such a fantastic show.

imageimageimage
    Since I'm in a class about the Coen's-

Barton Fink - 9/10
    Burn After Reading - 8.5/10

HOLY FUCK HOUSE OF CARDS SEASON 2

IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED IT FUCK WHATEVER YOURE DOING IN LIFE AND START WATCHING YOU DUMB SHITS
    EVERYTHING IS AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SO GO SEE THE LEGO MOVIE WOOOO
    Martin1 said:

EVERYTHING IS AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SO GO SEE THE LEGO MOVIE WOOOO

Just watched and it is great! love the cameos and the twist :D
    The Usual Suspects - 8/10

Now I understand why Bryan Singer his praise for this movie! Great story line!
    Rush - A pleasant surprise! This uniquely-filmed racing flick is well above average with fantastic performances from Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl. Mix in some heart-pounding racing scenes and a memorable score and you've got a return to form by director Ron Howard.

8/10
    imageimageimage
    True Detective (TV Mini-Series, 2014)

(I'm up with the show, 5 episodes so far)

All I can say is: what Nic Pizzolatto built here, is something full of mithology, complex characters, and a story that writers and producers would take three or four competent seasons, to create in a normal show; Cary Fukunaga just proves himself as a masterclass director, and after the show-stopping 6-minute trackshot, will go out of True Detective being able to direct whatever the fuck he wants; and Matthew McConaughey, I had some doubts about him taking an Oscar, fuckit, the man brings one of the most compelling actings I've seen in a show, in a long time; and finally, Woody Harrelson comes, once again, to make myself wonder why the hell the man is such an underrated actor.

This show is pure brilliance, and I find myself sometimes fearing if the ending may disappoint, given the enormous hype these five episodes have been building, but honestly, with the kind of attention and craft that has been put on this, I have no doubts they'll put, at least, an admirable ending.

10/10
  • WeasleytheKingWeasleytheKing Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Prisoners.

Finally got around to watching it. Extremely intense atmosphere that carried throughout the movie. The acting was top-notch, especially from Gyllenhaal and Jackman. Pretty impressed overall, didn't figure out the resolution.

Very well structured film and atmosphere.
    Fargo - 9/10

I thought it was a pretty good there ya. I think you know it was super. Oh yaa.

• SoulxxBondSoulxxBond Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    After The Dark, AKA The Philosophers 8/10

Full review in thread.
    Gravity: 9.7/10

Spoilerish review:

Finally saw it. What an amazing thrill-ride from start to finish. Sandra Bullock, probably her finest performance, a masterpiece for her. George Clooney was great as well.

Favorite parts:
    Ryan's hallucination of Matt
    The whole sequence getting to the Chinese Space Station. The fire extinquisher part was AMAZING! Best part of the movie in mu opinion.
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Pompeii: 8

A pleasent surprise. The trailers made it to look like it was going to be a CGI extravaganza, but it was pretty much true to real story of Mount Vesuvius's eruption (Except for a couple of licenses) The acting is great (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Kiefer Sutherland stole the show), the love story is not cheesy, and the recreation of Pompeii is amazing, same with the roman politics and the eruption itself. Clinton Shorter's score is his best since District 9.

The only thing that lacked was that the film had a lot of influences from other films, especially Gladiator and Titanic, but given the fact that
    most of the characters we're inspired on true people who died in the eruption
    excuses it.

Very underrated, especially for being a Paul W.S. Anderson film.

After The Dark, AKA The Philosophers 8/10

Full review in thread.

Where did you find it??? I can't find any theaters

edited March 2014
    MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN 3D - 8/10

So today got the chance to go to an advance screening. Great animation and 3D effects and I enjoy it and funny. Great for adults and kids :)
    Post edited by Samch92 on
    Tomorrow When The War Began -- 8.5/10
  • PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gravity - 10/10
    One of the perils of working full time is that I don't get too go to the cinema very often. And I am very upset that I didn't get to see this absolute masterpiece on the big screen. My entire body feels weird after watching that.
    imageimage
    edited March 2014
    Yesterday watched 300: Rise of an Empire - 6/10
    Wasn't that good lool

Today got passes for an advance screening of Need For Speed - 7/10
    Good adaptation of Hot Pursuit and The Run
    Post edited by Samch92 on
    Advance screening of Muppets Most Wanted - 6/10
    Divergent - 7/10

It's truly a 7 through and through.

• PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Doing a big superhero marathon. Starting with Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy, seeing as they're my least favourite of any of them. Having not watched them in many years, I've been surprised that I don't dislike them as much as I used to.

Spider-Man: 5/10. Willem Dafoe and JK Simmons had a lot of fun, and really sold their characters. The score is good too, back when Danny Elfman was cool. Kirsten Dunst isn’t as bland as I remember, nor is Franco. The film could actually be decent with the script it has, were it not for Raimi’s…unique directing, and the egregious levels of incompetence and suck that is the walking cringe himself, Tobey Maguire.
    Spider-Man 2: 6.5/10. Alfred Molina was fantastic. Almost everything is a massive improvement, but special mention to the fight scenes, which are exceptionally choreographed this time around. But Mary Jane’s characterization took a turn for the bratty selfish bitchy worse. And Raimi still can’t direct intimate scenes. It’s like he just says ‘stretch it out as much as you can’ and leaves them to it. And Tobey Maguire still sucks.
    Spider-Man 3: 6/10. Tobey Maguire learned how to not suck, and so did Raimi, mostly. This could’ve easily been the best film of the three, and it wasn’t. Mary Jane upgraded from Selfish Brat to full blown Bella Swan. Her little drama subplot was enough to clutter the film up with subplots that it was a mess. Also, Eddie/Venom’s casting and characterization was one of the low points. But all of this could be forgiven, if not for Peter’s entire montage under the influence of the symbiote suit. The hair flipping, the attitude, the fucking dancing. Were this not here, it’d definitely have a higher score.
    imageimage
    I can hardly watch that trilogy anymore cause of Tobey. Absolutely dreadful performances!