Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Rate/Review the Last Movie or TV Show You Watched

Comments

• fawke83fawke83 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Henrick said:

Honestly, if you think that the movie industry is lacking lately, you should consider watching more than just mainstream movies. Past year was a fantastic year for movies and this year promises to be one of the best ones. Maybe you should expand your viewing and stop going to Cinemark. There fantastic and phenomenal movies out there lately. And this comparison between series and movies is just inappropriate. Different approach, different experience, different narrative structure. Very unfair.

I think you did not get my point, because you said it yourself the exact problem: you have to get out of the mainstream and start searching for these little indie movies that come out here and there. Out of that, we can find this or that great movie that comes out. The rest? Up in Oscar season, not to mention that half of Oscar-buzzed movies end up falling flat on their hype. It's been filled with too much brain-dead blockbusters and sappy and/or retarded comedies that abuse our intelligence, for almost good part of the year. You said it yourself, that last year was great for movies, yeah, but the problem is, 90% of them were in the November-December slate, and that is a fraction of our entire year. Besides, you probably haven't seeing my reviews around here, if you say I should "expand my viewing", but the fact is that this year, I can count on my hand the number of times I went to the theater or downloaded movies from 2013.

But hey, I don't bother with that, for me, the movie industry is well alive and kicking. But right now, at this moment, after getting a grab of some TV shows, I have got to admit that TV industry has an upper hand. The logic is, purely, very simple: the majority of TV shows lately are smart and skillful in every department, not to mention that most of them still manage to entertain and thrill greatly. But movies? Haven't been so much.
    Quaalude fight: because drunk fight is too mainstream.
  • I still find it unbelievable that someone that has your knowledge about movies can deliberately compare them to TV shows. I'll never understand that. But whatever..
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rush
    A thrilling experience where everyone involved brings out their best. From direction, cinematography, acting, score, everything is absolutely great. I don't like some editing choices and they dramatically hurt the final product. Overall, an amazing story that transports you into this world and teaches you so much about it, and leaves you wanting to know more about these incredible events.
    4/5

• nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Rome with Love

Woody Allen's trip to Rome is nothing short of a charming and somewhat comedic experience but lacks the depth and originality of his latter films. Still, it has the wonderful setting of Rome, a great ensemble of actors and some nice dialogue to go along with some decent stories.

7/10
    Elysium
    Perhaps I set my expectations a little low, but I found this to be an absolutely great film. There are numerous logical flaws and plot holes, but each plot device happens with a seamless naturality, and every character decision is surprisingly consistent. There's a really interesting art direction, and the movie leaves you wanting to know more about its environments. Wagner Moura, Sharlto Copley really steal the show delivering deliciously over the top performances, while Matt Damon and Alice Braga are at their best. It's not the smartest movie in the world, but it's great to see an original R-rated sci-fi action movie delivering the thrills it sets out to create.
    4/5

• JordyJordy Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    Last night I saw the premiere of Don Jon.

It's good and funny, but also quite repetitive.
    Feel free to ask questions!

(around 3/5)
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't wait for Gravity this week :D
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Jordy said:

(around 3/5)

I liked it as well, though I rated it a little higher than you, because to me every single actor was at their best in this, having the time of their lives with those characters, and that brought the movie a charm that was able to overcome some of the script's flaws.

Stoker (2013)

Director: Chan-Wook Park / Writer: Wentworth Miller

Cast: Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman, Matthew Goode

So, here it is, the first american movie from Chan-wook Park, who some may know by Oldboy, one of the classics of the last decade. Now, this movie is quite the question mark: the direction is great, Park imbues the movie with his usual nocturnal style, giving some shots and scenes quite a strange and uncomfortable vibe. The acting, of course, is top-notch, Mia is as always, excellent as the creepy and lost daughter, while Matthew Goode chews in basically every scene he's in, as the bizarre uncle. Nicole Kidman is kind of a third player here, but of course, does a good job, gaining more of a spotlight in the third act. So, with all this praise, why did I felt kind of underwhelmed by this? I believe it's Wentworth Miller's script fault (the protagonist from Prison Break? Yeah, him), as it slogs through some scenes, and some symbolisms here and there felt a little... Lost. The supposed plot-twists and revelations through the story, in their majority, are easily seen, and I think that, if they were better hidden, it would valorize the movie, and give a higher sense of dread through it.

So, in few words: good movie, but it's a slog sometimes, and could've benefited from a tighter script.

7.0/10

--------

The Kings of Summer (2013)

Director: Jordan Vogt-Roberts / Writer: Chris Galletta

Cast: Nick Robinson, Gabriel Basso, Moises Arias

This was, definitely, the biggest surprise of this year. Going to watch this movie with medium expectations, what I've got whas one of the nicest coming-of-age movies I've seen in a while. The plot: three kids, tired of their complicated lifes with their parents, decide to go live on the woods, being the owners of themselves. But this simple story is packed with so much heart and smartness, that you can't help but be overjoyed with each one of these characters. Nick Robinson proves to be another kid who has potential to break out big, with his co-stars Gabriel Basso and Moises Arias (this one in a surprisingly funny role), not much behind. Supporting performances from Alison Brie and Nick Offerman offer a little gravitas in the adult side of the story, and Vogt-Roberts gives it a layed-down and beautiful direction to this heartwarming tale.

One of the best movies of this year, without a doubt.

9.0/10
  • jdnightjdnight Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    @fawke83 You make some really good points about Stoker.

Personally, I liked this film a lot. I rated it slightly higher, giving it a 9, and to me, it is one of the major film highlights of this year, which is saying a lot for a non-Oscar season release that was sorely limited in theatre screenings across the nation. I don't agree with all your points (although your entire critique is very insightful and you explain your points well), but you're right there as far as the script goes.

I read the script before I had a chance to see the film (I still have the script) and while it is far from perfect, I really enjoyed it; it made me more eager to see the film. Wentworth Miller (or ''Ted Foulke'' which he penned the script under) is apparently a screenwriter in the making. His ideas are strong and fresh. His characters are round and interesting. He is heavily influenced by other works before his (obviously, Hitchcock) though he's no copier. In the art of storytelling, everything is a remix. But he could use some improvement. With his script for Stoker, I could clearly tell he was new to screenwriting and it showed. There were times that it read more like a visual novel than an actual screenplay, and yes certain scenes did drag - for longer than they should have (i.e. the funeral luncheon).

Chan-wook Park took Miller's script and added the necessary elements to fill in what was missing cinematically and character-wise (for instance, the relationship that India had with her father is more developed through a recurring flashback; this didn't originally exist in the script), but I totally see the point you make about the plot twists. In the script (or based on the draft I have), the revelations are a little less obvious, but there's still major hints. India's true nature in connection to Uncle Charlie unfolds similarly, which is underlain by her peculiarity and her hunting tactics from her father. We never truly see Uncle Charlie in the act of killing until the middle-half and climax, unlike the film. But regardless of off-page or on-page action, the reader still gets the sense that Uncle Charlie is behind the murders and India is just as likely capable of doing the same. And all along, there's that gut feeling he had something to do with India's father's death and later on, the disappearance of the younger brother from the photographs years earlier which leads to where Charlie has been all these years (everything is revealed directly in the next scene after India finds the photos and letters; I feel India should have been actively discovering these clues throughout the film rather than have all of Charlie's past sandwiched in just a few montage scenes, all in sequential order).

Minus the obvious flaws, I still think the script was exceptional for a first-time screenwriter (I can't say the same for many new screenwriters) and when I finally did get to see the film, it exceeded some of the expectations that I had about it, despite it being far from faultless. In story, characters, tone, style and narrative, something as Hitchcock-esque and modern-Gothic as Stoker is just really up my alley. Feel free to disregard my bias.
    tumblr_mhclas5CtM1s17dn4o6_250 tumblr_mmo2p90zRk1qhivs3o6_250 tumblr_mpxnqxqxDJ1sax5w8o2_250
    @fawke83 I saw The Kings of Summer this week as well! It was an absolute surprise, not only is it a competent comedy (Biaggio had me in tears of laughter), but its dramatic elements were beautifully honest and well portrayed. I loved those simple things that make it so much closer to reality, from the guys' beards to scenes that illustrate the angst like when Joe stays up through the night. Great movie indeed!

JD, on the contrary, I pretty much agree with basically everything you said. As I said before, the movie is not bad, not at all, and for a first-time screenwriter like Miller, he did very well. You mentioned something I forgot to comment on my analysis of the movie, how much of Hitchcock influence there is on the movie, and for the good. And what you mentioned about the deaths ocurring on-screen just later, in the original draft, among other things, indeed, could've helped to up the sense of dread and mystery around Charlie, but still, Park's style did it's job in this department.

I believe, in the end, our disregards just come to how much we found the "plot contrivances" you and I described to stand in the way of enjoying the movie.

To Matt: right? I've been enjoying a lot of these indie filmmakers that have been making dramedy recently: sticking close to reality, but giving nice and simple stories that are a lot more intelligent and enjoyable than 90% of these dramedies and rom-coms with high-profile actors that come out every year.
    @fawke83 A well-written response.

I believe there is nothing more I can add at this point. It was lovely sharing our opinions with one another. ;)
    tumblr_mhclas5CtM1s17dn4o6_250 tumblr_mmo2p90zRk1qhivs3o6_250 tumblr_mpxnqxqxDJ1sax5w8o2_250
    fawke83 said:

To Matt: right? I've been enjoying a lot of these indie filmmakers that have been making dramedy recently: sticking close to reality, but giving nice and simple stories that are a lot more intelligent and enjoyable than 90% of these dramedies and rom-coms with high-profile actors that come out every year.

Absolutely! This year has been amazing for indie filmmaking, at least regarding what I've been watching. I highly recommend Drinking Buddies and Frances Ha as you're interested in these. The former is probablyone of the most realistic and interesting dramedies I've ever seen, and the latter is a beautiful look into life through the eyes of a deliciously quirky character. Top-notch!

About Stoker, my opinion on it is way closer to yours, @jdnight. This is one of the best movies I've seen this year, mainly because it's something that had been lacking in recent years: a pure exercise in experimental filmmaking. I loved how, had it been directed by most of other directors, this would have been a mediocre film mainly because its plot is obviously poor, but had potential of becoming at least a decent film. What Park did was tell a poor story in such a stylish, interesting fashion, relying completely on filmmaking techniques. There's passion leaking through every frame of this film. I absolutely love it.

• IsaiahIsaiah Posts: 3,342 mod
    Jordy said:

(around 3/5)

How was Scarjo?
    LoyalWeasley18 - POTTERMORE EARLY MEMBER -CRIMSONICE199-
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    edited September 2013
    @mattStrelow Oh yeah, you nailed it. ;)

Except, I don't think the story was ''poor,'' just lacking in certain areas (but for lack of a better word, I totally get the gist of what you're saying), which Park made stronger with his stylistic cinematic elements and impressive camerawork (I even had the pleasure of showcasing one of the scenes from this film for a scene analysis/film critique project for my film class at Uni; people were pretty taken by it). He's an awesome director. I'm beginning to become a fan of his work. Can't wait to hear more about future projects from him.
    Isaiah said:

Jordy said:

(around 3/5)

How was Scarjo?
    HOT! But seriously, she owned it. She's like the hard-to-get woman and she nailed it perfectly! She was suited for her role.
    @jdnight Oh, thanks, my pleasure. =)

@mattstrelow dude, I do want, but what pisses me is that the movie theaters in my city are crappy, when it comes to movie variety. Very rare to have an indie movie coming here, which is why I will have to sadly wait for them to leak on torrent. Specially Frances Ha, which I've been curious for a while. D:
  • Mr108jmlMr108jml Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Prisoners (2013)
    4/5 stars
    Prisoners was a big surprise for me. Its intensity and dark tone/themes make it one of the best of the year so far. The film is very twisted, emotional, complex and disturbing and asks the viewer, "what would you do?" in a similar situation. The acting is superb; Jackman and Gyllenhaal are amazing and all the praise they are getting is well earned. Paulo Dano is also great and I wish his performance would get more recognition. In my opinion, this is a film not everyone will enjoy. Prisoners feels like it's thirty minutes too long and because it's such a dark film, it can be difficult to enjoy and sit through the entire film.
    I'm not a big fan of the ambiguous ending, but that just adds another layer to the depth of the film.
    Denis Villeneuve is becoming a director to keep an eye on.
    I can absolutely relate to you, man. I lived in worse conditions than those :P The Hunger Games came out a month after March 23rd on the city I used to live. That's why I appreciate VOD releases so much, they're accessible to anyone. Drinking Buddies is one of those.

Right Matt, now you touched upon a subject I've been wanting to know for a while: how does this VOD release works?
    Magnet has been the most successful distributor regarding VOD releases. Lots of small distributors have been doing this with their movies because they don't have much money to give them wide releases, so they drop them On Demand a few weeks before a limited theater release, so the films can still be appreciated in theaters by a small audience and elligible for awards. A few months later they also show up on Netflix. It's a great way to give independent movies their deserved visibility.

Hmm, I got it now, definitely interesting, gonna search better for it. Frances Ha is on VOD too?
    edited October 2013
    As far as I can tell, it wan't released on VOD. You can check out IndieWire, they always post the highlights of the month. After a few days of their release, most of those movies show up on torrents as HDRIPs or WEBRIPs. They're all of great quality.

EDIT: Here's the IndieWire tag for VOD updates indiewire.com/tag/new-on-vod

• Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metal Gear Solid 2 (Cutscenes) - 10/10

Transcending the video game genre into the realm of film, this was possibly the greatest interactive movie I've ever seen. The post modern themes about today's digital world and information control are the best in its league.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

As far as I can tell, it wan't released on VOD. You can check out IndieWire, they always post the highlights of the month. After a few days of their release, most of those movies show up on torrents as HDRIPs or WEBRIPs. They're all of great quality.

Oh right, in fact I follow Indiewire frequently, it's just that after what you mentioned, I had the hope that some releases on VOD wouldn't reach the torrent network. But it's okay, I'll keep waiting for Frances Ha and The Spectacular Now... D:
    fawke83 said:

Oh right, in fact I follow Indiewire frequently, it's just that after what you mentioned, I had the hope that some releases on VOD wouldn't reach the torrent network. But it's okay, I'll keep waiting for Frances Ha and The Spectacular Now... D:
    I need to see The Spectacular Now. Hoping that our local distributor here would release it soon.
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Saw 300 yesterday, urghhh that film has way too much CGI and it just looks dead awful.
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sequel is much the same.

Lord Stafford.
    edited October 2013
    I'm already convinced that this is one of the best films this year, and I haven't even seen it yet.

Lord Stafford.
    Shit... Only next week here, but it won't take long. o/
    I'm surprised that Gravity will only take a week to come out over here in relation to the American release. This year's Warner releases have pretty much all taken over a month to drop, so annoying.

• Samch92Samch92 Posts: 6,398 mod
    @nick_hansen Did you watch it in 3D? if yes, was it worth it?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Yeah I saw it in 3D and I thought it was worth it. Did not affect the quality of the viewing at all. Plus Alfonso said it himself, if you don't see it in 3D, apparently it's like you're only getting 30% of the experience.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    Guys Gravity in 3D is a MUST.

Trust me.
    Space in IMAX 3D? Count me in!

Lord Stafford.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw Star Trek Into Darkness.

And so begins my love for Benedict Cumberbatch. I've officially ceased my breaking bad watching in favor for Sherlock.
    Good Martin Good!
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was really good. Definitely better than the first one.

Conclusion came a little fast and I HATE HATE HATE when movies provide a no return situation "you will 100% die" but then theyre fine ala Iron Man in the Avengers.

Regardless it was good.
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except that this time someone actually died, and it was a mirror of somebody else's death in the original Trek films. And in Avengers, people died. And no matter if someone is dead for one minute or 20, still it can move someone, and made him to ask for this character to being brought back to life.
    Can't wait til my Finals are over by next week. I need to watch Gravity in IMAX 3D!!
    imageimage
    imageimage
    edited October 2013
    Gravity imax 3d: I am speechless, around 9.5/10 and from now on in my top 10 favourite movies. Absolutely mesmerizing!

Fun fact: my friend thought white house down was better because it had more story. I needed to chill in order not to burst out laughing too hard! Haha
    Jordy said:

Gravity imax 3d: I am speechless, around 9.5/10 and from now on in my top 10 favourite movies. Absolutely mesmerizing!

Fun fact: my friend thought white house down was better because it had more story. I needed to chill in order not to burst out laughing too hard! Haha

Geez...
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    Recent Ratings:

Sherlock Series 1 : 9/10
    Sherlock Series 2: 9/10
    Kick-Ass 2: 6/10
    The Heat: 6/10
    The Bling Ring: 4/10
    Star Trek: 8/10
    Star Trek 2: 7/10
    Insidious 2: 7/10
    Why give the Bling Ring such a low rating Ry?
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • TheDoctorTheDoctor Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock is a very good show but blergh

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    Isaiah said:

Why give the Bling Ring such a low rating Ry?

It felt so pointless to me after a point. Idk there just weren't many surprises and I wasn't impressed with acting. It just felt very flat and boring. It wasn't my thing. By all means if you loved it thats great. It just wasn't my kind of movie.
    TheDoctor said:

Sherlock is a very good show but blergh

Its great but dose tumblr fangirls b creaming their jeans to Cucumberpatch and Bilbo. It gets old. I feel like S3 will be the last great season and the Moff will start to decline.

Personally, I'm ready for a new direction with Who. I feel like Moffat has put all his focus on Sherlock. Just my opinion though.
  • PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Chernobyl Diaries - 3/10

It's not tooo bad. But it's certainly not good. Almost all the characters are unlikable, and totally idiotic, apart from that Australian guy, but then again, we're used to everything trying to kill us. Jesse McCartney's acting was good though. He should do better things. The shooting is almost great, if it didn't have shots to show us what we're supposed to subtly notice, like the mutant fish and the people in the background. It's kind of like 'Yes, I get it, someone just walked behind them, you don't have to cut to a shot of that general, now empty, area'. The best part of the film was probably the first act, just because it had a haunting sort of beauty to it. But from then onward, it was just standard fare horror; jump scares from unimportant things, like knocking something over, people being utterly compelled to do the stupidest things you could do in those situations, and an inconveniently broken down van. I suppose it could be seen as offensive, seeing as making a film about victims of a disaster being turned into mutant zombie things from the radiation is pretty tasteless. Also, the ending seemed like it was trying too hard.
    imageimage
  • PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 8/10

I'm slightly confused as to where the budget for this film went. The set design, cinematography, special effects and alien prosthetics all look really bland and unexciting. But you know what? I don't care. Because, damnit, this film was entertaining. From the moment Stephen Fry finished his little dolphin monologue at the beginning, I knew I was going to love it. The humour is just so very British. It's a completely absurd, ridiculous film, but it's really not taking itself seriously at all. It's one of those just-for-fun things, and it's wonderful. Great cast too. Martin Freeman is a joy as always, and Alan Rickman, Bill Nighy, Helen Mirren and Zooey Deschanel were all great. I found Sam Rockwell to be a bit irritating, which was odd. I have to compare it to Spaceballs and Galaxy Quest, because I feel like they make up some sort of trilogy of sci-fi parodies, and I think this one fits snugly in the middle; Not quite as much heart as Galaxy Quest, but it has far better humour and originality than Spaceballs. A good fun watch.
    imageimage