Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Rate/Review the Last Movie or TV Show You Watched

Comments

• mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now You See Me
    Despite a completely idiotic plot, Now You See Me still manages to be an absolute blast to watch, featuring wonderful chemistry among the main cast, well executed action sequences (the fight scene with Mark Ruffalo and Dave Franco is the highlight) and a pitch perfect pace, making this an undeniable crowd pleaser that proves good direction can still save a bad script and deliver some good mindless fun.
    3/5

edited September 2013
    The East
    While noticeably different than what its advertisement made it to be, The East is still a remarkable conspiracy story with an incredibly human touch - enhanced by great performances from the cast (especially Alexander Skarsgard and Ellen Page). Very interesting cinematography, and also great direction and editing, even though there are some unnecessary scenes and plot devices. It's a movie that will make you think after it's done, and that's something to praise.
    4/5

--

Disconnect
    An absolutely riveting experience that's both socially relevant and emocionally intense, Disconnect packs an amazing ensemble cast delivering great performances all around, though Jason Bateman is the highlight, excellent performance; also props to Andrea Risenborough, Frank Grillo and Haley Ramm. It's also beautifully shot and wonderfully put together: there's a scene in the climax that will make your jaw drop. There is a sort of dramatic contrast between the three stories, one being stronger than the other, but that doesn't stop this from being an absolute gem.
    4.5/5
    Post edited by mattStrelow on

• Samch92Samch92 Posts: 6,398 mod
    edited September 2013
    Movies I watched during this summer

Parker - 6/10
    Trance - 7/10
    Jack the Giant Slayer - 7/10
    White House Down - 7.5/10
    Monster University - 8/10
    Lone Ranger - 5/10
    Despicable Me 2 - 7/10
    OZ: The great and powerful - 6/10
    The Wolverine - 7/10 M
    The Conjuring - 8/10
    The Heat - 6/10
    The Big Wedding - 5/10
    Grow up 2 - 1/10
    Identity Thief - 5/10
    Kick Ass 2 - 7/10
    Were the Miller's - 6/10
    After Earth - 6/10
    The Bling Ring - 5/10
    Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - 8/10

Well...wasn't that great of a summer for movies :-S
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    Saw Insidious Chapter 2 last night.

Just as good as the original. Many twists. Awesome guys...

9/10
    Now im excited to watch it even more :D

Better than The Conjuring @Richard ? which one is scarier?
    I'm watching The Conjuring right now! :D

• Mr108jmlMr108jml Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen Insidious 2 yet, but some of my friends liked the Conjuring more.
    edited September 2013
    The Conjuring
    My opinion on The Conjuring is more personal than ever: I recognize that it's a remarkably well done horror film that plays around with all of the genre's big clichés, giving them a very fresh feel, but it never scared me, mainly because every set piece was inevitably already done somewhere else. It's a sort of "definitive haunted house movie" that benefits from the great tension that James Wan can craft, which unfortunately doesn't pay off when the story escalates to its peak, simply because the stakes are never as high as they should be. There's no sense of real danger, not even in the big climatic showdown. It's still a very entertaining movie and I can't ignore how technically competent it is, all around.
    3/5 or 4/5
    Post edited by mattStrelow on

• RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    Samch92 said:

Now im excited to watch it even more :D

Better than The Conjuring @Richard ? which one is scarier?

Well.... Scarier The Conjuring. More Entertaining, Insidoious 2. Theyre both good horror movies. I love the twists in Insidoious and how it connects to the first... Its great storytelling.
  • fawke83fawke83 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    The Conjuring (2013)

Director: James Wan

Cast: Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Ron Livingston, Lili Taylor

Ok, with all the hype, I had to see if it managed to beat my expectations... And boy it did. I believe there is no need to mention the excellent camerawork by Wan in the movie, which totally helped to set the tone. But not only that, the movie gave me something that generally all the horror/terror movies don't even care: empathy for the characters. It's kinda stupid, but if you stop to think, this kind of character treatment can add a lot, and I applaud the screenwriters, for giving the movie time to estabilish every one of them, so that when the time for the terror came, the stakes felt higher, because you actually cared about them (acting here did another part of the job, and a well done, everyone was fantastic, but I gotta give special kudos to Vera Farmiga and Lili Taylor).

All in all, it has spookes, it has tension. It's not awards-worthy or anything like that, but can very well be the best terror movie I've seen in quite some time.

8.0/10
    Quaalude fight: because drunk fight is too mainstream.
  • nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About Time

Time travel has been effectively used in this romantic drama. It seems so subtle and real much like the element of fantasy that was present in Midnight in Paris. It's from the same director of Love Actually and it definitely delivers with similar sentimental humor and an ensemble of lovable characters. Domhnall Gleeson conveys a great sense of awkwardness at times while Rachel McAdams on screen presence is delightful, along with ever so brilliant Bill Nighy. Although it does lose itself at times with an overload of time travel, it's still a very lovely film.

8/10
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

About Time

Time travel has been effectively used in this romantic drama. It seems so subtle and real much like the element of fantasy that was present in Midnight in Paris. It's from the same director of Love Actually and it definitely delivers with similar sentimental humor and an ensemble of lovable characters. Domhnall Gleeson conveys a great sense of awkwardness at times while Rachel McAdams on screen presence is delightful, along with ever so brilliant Bill Nighy. Although it does lose itself at times with an overload of time travel, it's still a very lovely film.

8/10

I get the movie next week :D
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About time. I've got to see this. :)

Lord Stafford.
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insidious Chapter 2:

James Wan is quickly becoming the Christopher Nolan of Horror.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Turns out he's leaving horror behind.

“I’m going to go on record and say I am finished with the horror genre. Conjuring and Insidious 2 are my two last scary movies.”

What a way to go.

Lord Stafford.

Turns out he's leaving horror behind.

“I’m going to go on record and say I am finished with the horror genre. Conjuring and Insidious 2 are my two last scary movies.”

What a way to go.

Lord Stafford.

Well damn I didn't even see that... He went out with a bang!
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

I find it nice. It gets complicated when a director ends up stuck in just one style. Wan developed his filmmaking a lot, since Saw (and boy, between Saw and Insidious, he directed some real horror crap). Now, with F&F7 onwards, he can use his skills he gathered to give fresh visions to other genres he may end up working.
    I get frustrated seeing people stay within one genre, so to see this guy finally branching out is a good thing. As for his future, I can see him going places.

Lord Stafford.
    Saw was my favorite twist ending of all time in horror... Dead Silence was nothing to show off but it was alot of fun. Insidious 1 and 2 and The Conjuring are legends.

I just got back from seeing The Conjuring again, and I must say, it's way better in a second viewing. There are a lot of cool little details that I had overlooked. I still don't like the overuse of cheesy flashbacks and some editing choices, but it's definitely a way better movie than I first thought it was. Probably because I put way too many expectations into it, but now, seeing it again with no pretension, it really reached to me. I can't wait for Insidious 2!

• Insidious Chapter 2:

James Wan is quickly becoming the Christopher Nolan of Horror.

Hm. What?

I haven't seen Insidious Chapter 2, but James Wan is a total hit and miss. While Insidious and The Conjuring are decent pieces of contemporary horror, he also has 2 really bad movies on his curriculum: Dead Silence (maybe one of the worst slasher flicks in recent memory) and Death Sentence. Saw? Nothing special. At least to me.
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
    Well I liked his story regardless of how he pulled it off. Dead Silence isn't my favorite mainly because I think it would have been better in short story format.

I never saw the ending to saw coming. Never. And some of those images and mystery reveals were perfect.

Insidious 1 and 2 played the role of mystery perfect.

The Conjuring will be his crowning jewel.

It something you probably don't understand because you don't seek entertainment for the mystery and subtle revelations like I do.

• aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    This Is The End - More like "This is truly original, fantastic and fucking uproariously hilarious comedy." 8.5/10
    imageimageimage
    The East (2013)

Director: Zal Batmanglij

Cast: Brit Marling, Alexander Skaarsgard, Ellen Page

Hehe, funny how me and Matt have been passing through the same movies recently... But, about the movie. A nice thriller which thankfully doesn't fall on preachy bullshit about ecology, and instead gives us the gray picture, playing with the border between eco activism and terrorism. Everyone is really nice on the movie, even though Marling, Skaarsgard and Page shine brighter on their roles. The only real problem is that the movie has a shaky third act, with the protagonist taking some decisions that didn't fit well on everything she was doing earlier, besides other plot contrivances.

Anyway, it's still a great movie. Batmanglij is a talented filmmaker on the rise, and Brit Marling, beyond beautiful, has these mesmerizing expressive looks, and deserves to rise, both as an actress and as a screenwriter.

8.0/10

-

Capote (2005)

Director: Bennett Miller

Cast: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener, Clifton Collins Jr.

Impressive "biopic", which finds the encounter of excellent direction, a tight script and mesmerizing acting from mainly, but not solely, Philip Seymour Hoffman, who simply transforms himself and disappears in the role of Truman Capote. As slow as some times may be, this movie brings and unflinching and slightly disturbing study of the man, during the period he wrote his most famous book "In Cold Blood", and his fascination with the assassin of an entire family. I did felt the movie could have delved deeper on the Perry Smith psyche, but, as this is a Truman Capote movie, I do understand the choice story-wise. Not for everyone, but those who are looking for something like a slow-burner will find plenty to watch here.

By the way, Bennett Miller is the real deal. With only this and Moneyball, the dude can direct the hell out of a movie and his actors, and I am really curious about Foxcatcher, which I believe he will be pulling the best acting from Steve Carell's career.

8.5/10
    Blue Jasmine

Woody Allen's charm with stunning set locations, original music choices and wonderful storytelling shines bright in Blue Jasmine. Cate Blanchett's incredible Oscar worthy performance drives this film, along with the rest of the brilliant cast and their strongly developed character's. Superb.

9/10
    Pain and Gain
    A terrifyingly cruel story inexplicably told as a comedy, Pain & Gain has its merits regarding acting, camera work and, to a certain extent, direction. Too bad it makes various poor choices like shoehorning narrations from different characters every five minutes or its terribly choppy editing. It is a marginally entertaining experience as a whole, but its cracks are way too aparent to make this anything other than mediocre.
    2/5

--

R.I.P.D.
    Highly derivative, extremely poorly written and directed and packed with horribly dated visual effects, R.I.P.D. could have almost been an even bigger failure than it already is, if it wasn't for Jeff Bridges' amazing screen presence and hilarious performance. Him, along with Mary Louise Parker are what makes this movie way less of a train wreck than it already was, providing some actual fun with what they bring to the table. An okay experience, I guess.
    2/5

edited September 2013
    Got a few movies I've seen recently.

World War Z
    Nice take on the zombie genre. Not always compelling but I enjoyed its logic and I think it set up a good foundation for future movies.
    7.5/10

Atonement
    A really wonderfully paced and devastating yet great story which is beautifully scored and shot. Must say that 4 minute shot in the middle of it along with that strong music is just delightful to watch.
    8/10

Into the Wild
    I love when you watch a movie and after it you go, I can't believe I have only just watched this. I was not aware that this was a true story until it finished and wow did this film do the story justice. Absolutely inspiring at times; gone down as one of my favourite movies.
    9/10

Annie Hall
    Woody Allen is so recognised and respectable yet I had only seen Midnight in Paris and Blue Jasmine, so I've decided to make my self more aware of his work by starting with what is supposedly a classic. Woody Allen is great, not only in his direction but in his acting of this neurotic middle aged man. He's witty and charming at the same time and he's supported himself with a superb script as well.
    8/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    Atonement is just one of the best period pieces of history.
    image image image
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atonement's one of my fave.
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Not only is the film great, but the cast...

Lord Stafford.
    edited September 2013
    Adore
    A daring concept is not enough to carry this poorly structured story where every main character is absolutely despicable and makes inexplicably stupid decisions. There are no redeeming qualities about any character and the story is completely based in senseless events. Naomi Watts carries the movie with a beautifully vulnerable performance, and there is some beautiful camera work here. There still are some very good scenes like one involving Gary Sweet and both main actresses. Unfortunately, what was supposed to be a dangerous, controverse love story turns out to be simply a trashy tale about four horrible people who almost never suffer or ponder about the consequences of their actions.
    2/5

• Disappointed to read that. Could expect more from Anne Fontaine, though.
    image image image
  • IsaiahIsaiah Posts: 3,342 mod
    The Bling Ring

Great film but something was missing, I can't think of it right now but it was still a great film. Emma's american accent is crazy good and Katie Chang and Talissa Farmiga, and Emma Watson were the standout performances for me. The story was one demensional with little development of the characters. The drug use was a little over the top for me. We get it, they do drugs.

7.5/10
    LoyalWeasley18 - POTTERMORE EARLY MEMBER -CRIMSONICE199-
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • Could you please explain how is the story one dimensional and with little development of characters? The Bling Ring is a movie that focus on its character. The character development is there. Don't misunderstand character development with futile and empty characters. It is totally different.
    image image image
    It focuses on character but there's no depth. There just plain and bland. I wanted to hear from Katie's character why was she so obsessed with these stars and what did she have to gain. To me, she just wanted to steal because she could.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • And that's exactly the point of the movie. How to find depth in characters that are not deep at all? And well... I think their obsession is very clear in the movie.
    image image image
    Still a good film though. Glad to hear Crown on the Ground in the intro. Coppola's choice of music was awesome.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    I also liked the film...I think its just me maybe because I dont watch a lot of indie movie but it felt like I was watching a TV show lol the shooting style felt really like something you will see on TV.

About characters...I think they were good and shs cannot go deeper than this about them because its a real story I think
    To me The Bling Ring was nearly perfecr. I actually didn't think I would love it so much because the reaction had been very mixed, almost everyone pointing out how "shallow" it supposedly was. Honestly, I don't understand how people can actually find this shallow when every single character, no matter how minor, was far from black and white. I like to point out Nicki's arrest scene as an example, there is so much you can learn from the character with a simple reaction. Just because extensive exposition isn't necessary to define their nuances, doesn't mean they're unidimensional. Another major point that enhanced the experience for me is the rather embarrassing fact that tabloid news are a guilty pleasure of mine, and having a movie dig so deep into this aspect of society that people, including me, seem to not realize how detrimental can be to humanity. It made me reflect a lot. It's very socially relevant.

After Earth
    There's a certain adventurous charm about After Earth that makes it way easier to overlook its weak script, bad editing and awful CGI. This is a surprisingly entertaining little movie that packs so many interesting ideas and is actually successful at executing some of them. Will Smith is a tremendous screen presence even in such an undemanding role, while Jaden Smith tries his best and it's actually noticeable. I really liked the art direction, a very fresh take on the usual futuristic themes - too bad the visual effects fail at materializing the concepts at their full potential. But I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.
    3/5

• yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True, the film really was butchered on editing. One of the actors complained about the prologue being practically cut.

Also, having Will Smith producing the film, four screenwriters, makes the whole thing unbalanced.

I think it would have being better if Shyamalan had a better control of the film instead of being reduced to be a hired gun (which he has being treated on his last three films).
    Rush (2013)

Director: Ron Howard

Stars: Chris Hemsworth, Daniel Bruhl, Olivia Wilde

What a pleasant surprise. Thankfully getting near awards-season, Rush is a great movie to kick it in, giving us the story of one of Formula 1 most famous rivalries: Niki Lauda vs. James Hunt. And Ron Howard presents it with real passion, delivering a mixture of smart character drama, and high-octane action on the tracks. The acting all around is excellent, even if Hemsworth and Bruhl are the real stars here (the latter mainly, embracing Lauda's strictness completely, no wonder talks about him receiving a Supporting Actor nod at the Oscars have been growing). The directing is extremely competent, showing a return to form for Howard, and the script, even if it suffers from some sloppy lines (mainly in the beginning), manages to deliver some great drama at times, and exhilarating fun at others. One of the best films this year, if not the best, so far.

8.5/10
    Breaking Bad (TV Show)

Creator: Vince Gilligan

Stars: Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, Anna Gunn, etc...

Okay, okay, I gotta give it... Nowadays, TV has been smarter than movies. And it is thanks to programs like Breaking Bad. A masterclass of acting, directing and writing, this show is gonna leave a mark, when it ends. But you know, better to leave with critical acclaim and praise, than to over-extent it's welcome and dropping the quality.

Kudos to Vince Gilligan for creating such a compelling series, that manages to be smart on story, characters, and even plot hints (even with flashforwards/flashbacks), something this show does in a sober way, better than Lost did.

9.5/10
    @fawke83 you could have wait fot the last two episodes to rate it :P maybe after the last episode you will give it a 10 haha :P
  • Every time someone compares movies to TV series, a baby panda dies somewhere in the world.

image image image
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    @fawke83 YES! Are you all caught up?
    imageimageimage
    @Samch92 Well, I may be being a little picky, because 10 means perfect, and while excellent, BB isn't critic-proof, as I can recall the first season, which was kinda slog (a necessary one, I admit, but still a slog) sometimes.

@aaron Hell yeah man, finished Ozymandias this afternoon. Fuck me, what a punch to the gut the whole episode was. Don't have any idea of how the series will end.

@Henrick Yeah, I was the one who found it most difficult to accept that... But after watching some shows out there, I have to agree with the general critics. Although, I was very careful choosing my words: NOWADAYS, TV has been with smarter stuff than movies. Comparing timelessly, no, I don't agree at all. But actually? Okay, there is plenty of good movies out there, rare gems that we find here and there, but TV shows are filled with talented people, just look at Mad Men, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Game of Thrones... And the list goes on and on. These are series that are top-notch in everything: acting, directing, writing, and still manage to entertain immensely. The movie industry has been lacking this kind of appeal lately, no wonder estabilished actors such as Kevin Spacey, Kevin Bacon and Vera Farmiga have been moving on to TV.

I would highly suggest you try and give another chance to some series out there. Forget about identity, just let the plot guide you.
    The Family
    A breath of fresh air, The Family is a cartoonishly funny movie that manages to be deliciously entertaining despite many script problems. It also takes an enormous tonal shift by the time it hits the climax, but the thrilling scenes that follow make up for the inconsistency. Every actor is at their best with what they're given, especially Robert deNiro who has a blast with his character, the movie debate club scene being the absolute highlight. It's a "mafia movie homage" of some sorts, that despite being far from perfect, does its job.
    3/5

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    Honestly, if you think that the movie industry is lacking lately, you should consider watching more than just mainstream movies. Past year was a fantastic year for movies and this year promises to be one of the best ones. Maybe you should expand your viewing and stop going to Cinemark. There fantastic and phenomenal movies out there lately. And this comparison between series and movies is just inappropriate. Different approach, different experience, different narrative structure. Very unfair.
    image image image