Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

This movie is really crying out for an extended/director's cut!

Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Movies
Is anyone else with me?

Lord Stafford.

Comments

• CarneCarne Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Based on all the behind the scenes videos; YES!

Especially the amounts of battle stuff they cut.

(Well, actually, just throw Hagrid's scenes on the DVD and I'll be happy :) )
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed.

At least to fix the weird pace in the Gringotts sequence

• Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed.

That isn't what i meant. Gringotts felt alright to me, and although once they get to Hogwarts it is great... it was over far too quickly and we didn't have time to let the end settle in. This is the end of an era, the end of our childhood.

Lord Stafford.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    I agree, Stafford.

I loved the pace of the movie. For me, it was great. Really well balanced. But we all know that many stuff was, indeed, cut. :D
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • MattCatMattCat Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    Since Yates says he doesn't believe in 'keeping stuff hidden', I do hope we see some extended cuts surface in a couple of years time.
    Exactly, Henrick.

Lord Stafford.
    Since Yates says he doesn't believe in 'keeping stuff hidden', I do hope we see some extended cuts surface in a couple of years time.
    Couldn't that also mean that they will all be released for the deleted scenes of the DVD, instead? He better realise this at some point, that we have to receive an extended edition!

Lord Stafford.

• mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed.

That isn't what i meant. Gringotts felt alright to me, and although once they get to Hogwarts it is great... it was over far too quickly and we didn't have time to let the end settle in. This is the end of an era, the end of our childhood.

Lord Stafford.
    I know, the movie's perfectly paced, but taking the Gringotts sequence as a whole, you see it's really choppy.
    Like on the vault, the number of objects instantly increases, there was something in the middle that they cut in the last minute.

• Festax0333Festax0333 Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree 100 percent stafford

i know of so much thats been cut
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • BraveheartBraveheart Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this movie is like OOTP, if not to the extent of OOTP - and I don't mean I think it's bad, don't get me wrong. I think, aside from a few scenes that were probably completely cut, there was a lot trimmed from already existing scenes. Especially given the sheer number of shots from the trailers that were cut (more than I think ever before, it's normally just one or two) I think that certainly indicates that a great deal, if not swathes of the movie were cut down.

I'd definitely love an extended edition, but I just can't see it.
    Wow. Gringott's sequence choppy? For me, it was one of the best sequences in terms of editing of the whole saga. Even the jump cuts were handled well. :D
    image image image
    I loved the jump cut from Bellatrix's face when we are tossed immediately into the cart ride. Fantastic and gives it a really fast, furious pace.
    I think this movie is like OOTP, if not to the extent of OOTP - and I don't mean I think it's bad, don't get me wrong. I think, aside from a few scenes that were probably completely cut, there was a lot trimmed from already existing scenes. Especially given the sheer number of shots from the trailers that were cut (more than I think ever before, it's normally just one or two) I think that certainly indicates that a great deal, if not swathes of the movie were cut down.

I'd definitely love an extended edition, but I just can't see it.
    Well, yes, if you were to think about all of Yates' Potter films... OOTP and Part 2 seem to match in terms of speed and so do HBP and Part 1. It is unfortunate, but i also can't see it happening as Yates doesn't seem to be a fan of that kind of stuff, which is very disappointing and upsetting. :-S

Lord Stafford.
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope so, but just because the film was so excellent and I wouldn't complain about seeing a longer version.
    I loved the jump cut from Bellatrix's face when we are tossed immediately into the cart ride. Fantastic and gives it a really fast, furious pace.
    ME TOO! It's awesome!

I'm not a huge fan of jump cuts. But we all know that a movie like Potter needs them. And this one was handled very well!
    image image image
    What do you mean by 'Potter needs them'? If Potter does, then so does every good movie!

Lord Stafford.
  • decarusdecarus Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭
    I don't know because i am not sure they filmed what i want to see. I wouldn't mind it though if they did.
    edited July 2011
    Well, we know it needs one.

Lord Stafford.
    Post edited by Lord Stafford on
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    Then what the hell happened to the 45 minutes of unseen OOTP footage, lol?

imageimageimage
  • AnthAnth Posts: 569

exactly what i was about to say xD
    *I support Dumbledore's Army!"

• The Best WizardThe Best Wizard Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    For example What was cut? I have made a topic about the deleted scenes of DVD but not too many people give information about it.
    It just annoys me how they only put deleted scenes on the DVD/BD that are already completed but cut from the final movie. No unfinished effects, no greenscreens etcetc. I want everything, not just some boring scenes involving the trio doing or talking about something completely useless.
    - ALOT OF BATTLE
    - filch in dunegoens
    - more abeforth
    - shellcottage
    - why do you live
    - elphias doge, nevilles gram etc
    - hagrids scenes
    - harry walking back to the hallafter killing voldemort
    -
    I always want everything that was deleted as well even if it is unfinished.

Most of it is probably unfinished and might even be gone.

There seems to have been stuff cut from every scene practically, even if it was just 5 or 10 seconds here or there. I thought it did kind of hurt the pacing at times.

Anyway, other stuff that was cut:
    -A Death Eater scene in the aftermath of Gringotts
    -Neville getting beat up by the Carrows at the start (Can't remember where)
    -Shell Cottage stuff. I seem to remember Griphook extending his hand for Harry to shake in some footage)
    -Luna's chat with Harry and departure scene
    -More before Gringotts (they filmed Hermione altering Ron's appearance, and lots more stuff there)
    -Voldemort actually had dialogue in the scene where he killed all the Death Eaters and goblins (I imagine it was a proper scene and not just snippets like we saw)
    -All of Bellatrix's lines practically
    -Brief bits with Percy
    -Stuff from the Prince's tale
    -Parts of Voldemort's speech
    -LOTS of the battle

So yeah, quite a bit. :-))
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ONLY part of the battle that kind of disappointed was the battle in the Great Hall, mainly because it was just really creative when Neville awoke and I think there should have been more fighting there leading up to Bellatrix attacking Ginny. I would have LOVED to see Hermione, Luna, and Ginny go after Bellatrix, culminating in the Molly and Bellatrix duel before going back to Harry and Voldemort.
    The ONLY part of the battle that kind of disappointed was the battle in the Great Hall, mainly because it was just really creative when Neville awoke and I think there should have been more fighting there leading up to Bellatrix attacking Ginny. I would have LOVED to see Hermione, Luna, and Ginny go after Bellatrix, culminating in the Molly and Bellatrix duel before going back to Harry and Voldemort.
    I also would have liked this. After Snape leaves, the Great Hall is cast into the background.

Lord Stafford.

We never saw that close-up of Harry during the final spells in the courtyard did we?
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    There seems to have been stuff cut from every scene practically, even if it was just 5 or 10 seconds here or there. I thought it did kind of hurt the pacing at times.

-Shell Cottage stuff. I seem to remember Griphook extending his hand for Harry to shake in some footage)
    -More before Gringotts (they filmed Hermione altering Ron's appearance, and lots more stuff there)
    -Voldemort actually had dialogue in the scene where he killed all the Death Eaters and goblins (I imagine it was a proper scene and not just snippets like we saw)
    -Brief bits with Percy
    -LOTS of the battle

I really wanted to see the Slytherins escape from the dungeons and join Voldemort. (Filch and the explosion.)

imageimageimage
    I was pretty disappointed by the whole battle, not just because it was afforded about 2 minutes onscreen, but because what little we did see was all so impersonal. They focused on statues fighting giants, on random people we've never seen running about and random Death Eaters fighting in the background. There should have been focus on known characters fighting side by side, dying side by side, struggling for their lives in short. But we got none of that. The battling we did see just all felt so impersonal.

And I just love how thousands of Death Eaters literally just disappeared as soon as the battle started. There they all were, at least a thousand or more, ranged across the slopes around the school. And the there were only about a dozen of them in the actual battle.

:-|
  • The Best WizardThe Best Wizard Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

-Brief bits with Percy
    -LOTS of the battle

I really wanted to see the Slytherins escape from the dungeons and join Voldemort. (Filch and the explosion.)

Which parts of Voldemort´s speech and What stuff from the Prince´s tale?

-Brief bits with Percy
    -LOTS of the battle

Which parts of Voldemort´s speech and What stuff from the Prince´s tale?
    I think there was some in the b-roll footage. Him talking about how Harry doesn't care about any of them and Ron yells "Liar". At least I don't think that was in the film.
    And quite a few shots from the Prince's tale. Like the shots of Snape entering Godric's Hollow, walking down the streets, looking up at the house, entering the house.
    And quite a few shots from the Prince's tale. Like the shots of Snape entering Godric's Hollow, walking down the streets, looking up at the house, entering the house.
    Well, that really isn't anything of importance as the only thing there would be walking.

Lord Stafford.

Yeah but Snape's expression as he looked up at the house was stunning. I'd rather see his expression than his back, which is what we saw in the movie.
    Oh, so would i. I didn't know you meant it in that way.

Lord Stafford.
    edited July 2011
    Oh and they cut Neville's gran, didn't they. Was that mentioned? And I'm sure the actress who played Katie Bell said she was supposed to get attacked by Greyback too.
    i remember hearing something a long time ago on katie
    i remember hearing something a long time ago on katie
    Yeah there was a set report or something saying they had made models for her to be attacked by Greyback.
    Sure that wasn't for Lavender?
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See, if WB marketing didn't suck and some of the leaked clips didn't surface, then no one would be complaining right now about things being cut :p

Nevertheless, the film still gets a 10/10 from me, but I want to see the battle clips that were cut! X(
    None of the clips were leaked and i was annoyed with the lack of dueling months ago before we had any clips.
    edited July 2011
    None of the clips were leaked and i was annoyed with the lack of dueling months ago before we had any clips.
    Ru sure? Fan sites didn't post all of them and if they were released by WB they would've been high quality. I didn't watch the clips but went back and watched them after the movie, the quality isn't good.
    I am sure. They weren't leaked. They were just released through all different sites and during different shows and such.
    I am sure. They weren't leaked. They were just released through all different sites and during different shows and such.
    Than that's shitty WB marketing. Still, I avoided them, nothing was spoiled, and the film felt very appropriate in length and pace.

Still, this doesn't mean I don't want to see the cut parts :p
  • acciohpacciohp Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭
    DId we not see Neville carrying Nigel? Or a young boy? I wish that was in.
    Sure that wasn't for Lavender?
    They're not that easily confused as bodies.

Lord Stafford.
    DId we not see Neville carrying Nigel? Or a young boy? I wish that was in.
    MAtthew Lewis said he really hoped that was in the film, but it turns out they cut it.
    And i knew they would, when i pointed this out, i was accused of being negative, now look...

Lord Stafford.