Home General
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

J.K. Rowling's FAVOURITE Harry Potter film:

GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in General
This is sort of like a fun fact,
and I wanted you guys to know
and give your opinions!

"J. K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter novels, stated that Half-Blood Prince was her "favourite one" of the six film adaptations."

Source:

HERE!

Godric Gryffindor

Comments

• thisishogwartsthisishogwarts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭
    Ha! Suck it book purists.

But seriously, if the author of the book series says a movie of that series is the best, then its the best imo.
  • MamounMamoun Posts: 973 ✭✭✭
    It's funny how even the author of the book don't care about every freaking detail in the book to make it to the film.
  • decarusdecarus Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭
    I don't really care what JKR thinks at all.
  • jonny7003jonny7003 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭
    Did you like the film Decarus ?
  • MamounMamoun Posts: 973 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing a big fat no.
  • My top 6:

HP5

HP3
    HP6
    HP1
    HP4
    HP2
    edited August 2010
    Yes, i liked HBP quite a bit actually. I still like OotP better i think, but HBP can be second maybe tied with PoA.

I don't like the author commenting on her books and so i in general don't really care what she thinks.
    [quote=flaviobessajr]HP5

HP3
    HP6
    HP1
    HP4
    HP2 [/quote]

I actually like flavio's order. I will go with that.
  • BraveheartBraveheart Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭
    So that mean HBP has taken over OOTP's top spot as her favourite movie. I always knew she never bothered about the petty details anyway. She told them before OOTP to take any liberties with the books that they had to in order to make them good movies.
    edited August 2010
    @Braveheart. Yes, that's true. All she wants is a good film that stays true to the tone/story of the novel. Here's a quote from her: "It is simply impossible to incorporate every one of my storylines into a film that has to be kept under four hours long. Obviously films have restrictions - novels do not have constraints of time and budget; I can create dazzling effects relying on nothing but the interaction of my own and my readers' imaginations."

My order would be POA, HBP, GOF, OOTP, COS, PS.

POA holds a special place in my heart, as it's the film that introduced me to the Harry Potter series.
  • BraveheartBraveheart Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭
    My order would be OOTP, POA, HBP, GOF, PS, COS.
    Mine goes:

HBP
    PoA
    OoTP
    SS
    Gof
    CoS

After re watching GoF, the only scene that I only enjoy now is the graveyard scene and the tasks. Everything else now seems bland.
  • flaviobessajrflaviobessajr Posts: 361
    edited August 2010
    I think the biggest problem with GoF and CoS is: the films didn't get the tone and the spirit of the book.

Reading HP2 and HP4 books and watching HP2 and HP4 movies are two completely differents experiences. I think GoF is too... non-Potter.

And CoS is too 'childish'... HP2, the book, showed us the prejudice against 'mudblood' and halfbloods, besides a bit more of terror, if you compare with PS. But, to me, CoS is so 'childish' as PS is (but the childish works in PS... and the nostalgia, when I watch it now). Can you understand what I mean?
    I agree. Its why imo Yates, Columbus, and Cuaron are the top directors and why Newell made it feel "to epic".
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,713 mod
    Yeah i knew hbp was her fave,i just cant see why :/
    R:,/
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    HBP, POA, OOTP, GOF, SS, COS.
    imageimageimage
    POA,HBP,GOF,OOTP,SS,COS :D
    R
    When DH Parts 1 and 2 come out, I know they will be at the top of my list.

As of 2011, it'll be DH Pt.2, DH Pt.1, POA, HBP, GOF, OOTP, COS, PS :D
  • Pensieve SeekerPensieve Seeker Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭
    Thus far, GoF, PoA, and HBP are in my top three with GoF and PoA running neck and neck for first. My bottom three are OotP, CoS, and PS/SS with the latter two tied for last. So, I guess my list would look something like this:

GoF/PoA
    HBP
    OotP
    CoS/SS (PS)
    Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Pottermore user name: SilverQuest212
    [quote=jonny7003]As of 2011, it'll be DH Pt.2, DH Pt.1, POA, HBP, GOF, OOTP, COS, PS :D [/quote]

Hey Jonny,thats gonna be my list too :D
    R
  • EvanescoEvanesco Posts: 19
    I really wonder which Potter movie J.K. Rowling's favourite is now that the series is finished. I always had the feeling she told the press every year that the most recent one would be her favourite and that always sounded a lot like marketing talk to me. An honest answer would be great, just for the sake of it.
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YESSSSS me and JKR share the same sentiment.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• PopkinPopkin Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Interesting...

It often changes for me. Maybe she keeps changing her lineup like the rest of us :P
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... very interesting.
    @Brian When it comes to your "children," you're not supposed to have favorites. ;)
    I think she has used the same metaphor in the past, but on other occasions she also voiced more nuanced opinions on her books. I remember her saying that OotP could have been shorter and that Deathly Hallows is probably her favourite.

In my opinion, the "child" metaphor actually doesn't work when it comes to the movies. She might have written the original stories, but I'm positive that she has a very distinct opinion on the way the different directors handled those stories. The quote in the opening post is from David Yates, not from JKR herself. I'm not doubting Yates' credibility here, but even if she said that back in 2009, her opinion might have changed with the release of Deathly Hallows Part 1 or 2.
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very surprised. I think it's because she likes comedy. And i'm sorry for saying that, but it can't be for any other particular reason. The story was mutilated. I am sure that, storywise, POA is her favourite. She speaks like any other fan on the DVD's special features. So avid.

Lord Stafford.
    However, i find it interesting to see which film she likes the best. Has she ever mentioned which book was her favorite?
    Back in 2007 she said the following about Deathly Hallows:
    "All through, even through the depressed phase, this is my favorite book and I think it's my best book of the series."
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very surprised. I think it's because she likes comedy. And i'm sorry for saying that, but it can't be for any other particular reason. The story was mutilated.

Lord Stafford.
    Maybe she loves the artistic look of the film? The plot wasn't mutilated, it had some changes. It was still the same central plot. It's perfect on every technical level. There's plenty of reasons she could like HBP.

And also, this is from August 2010. I'm pretty sure she has said DH is her favorite.
    Also, story wise, why would POA be her favorite? Story wise, wouldn't it be either Deathly Hallows because so much was kept or SS and COS because everything was in. POA axed the mauraders story.
    And also, this is from August 2010.
    What is from August 2010?

And also, this is from August 2010.
    What is from August 2010?

This thread where she said HBP is her favorite. She has said since DH is her favorite.
    This thread where she said HBP is her favorite. She has said since DH is her favorite.
    Alright. I wasn't really aware that she had said that. Do you a have a direct quote or a source by hand? :)

I'm viewing from my phone so here's a mobile link, so idk if it'll work :p

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AD0TH20101114?irpc=932

That's for DH1. I don't know if she likes DH2 or DH1 greater, if she views them together, or what.
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What really matters is that J.K. is proud of all the movies.
    What really matters is that J.K. is proud of all the movies.
    Yep. If she loves them, what book complaints could you really have? We should be thankful we got a great story and that it translated well. You know from all her positive things she said she likes it.

I remember Christopher Paolini stuff like "it was interesting to see characters I made come to screen" as the most positive thing he had to say about Eragon, loll. He knew it sucked but he doesn't say that, meanwhile JKR has had nothing but praise.

We got one mother fucking badass series. 7 books and 8 films. Nothing compares.
    She has said before that writing HBP and DH were the most fun...
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AD0TH20101114?irpc=932
    Thank you! So as far as we know, Deathly Hallows is her favourite book and movie. Nice to know!
    We got one mother fucking badass series. 7 books and 8 films. Nothing compares.
    So true! *applauds*

• PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, story wise, why would POA be her favorite? Story wise, wouldn't it be either Deathly Hallows because so much was kept or SS and COS because everything was in. POA axed the mauraders story.
    I doubt that. SS and CoS kept most of the plot details, but they were the worst in conveying the story and themes. Part 1 likewise did not emphasize the "essence of the first half of the book": Harry fighting for the Greater Good, with the hallows/horcruxes as a driving force in the story. PoA on the other hand focused on the main character's growth throughout that story, which was about accepted truths.
    I doubt that. SS and CoS kept most of the plot details, but they were the worst in conveying the story and themes. Part 1 likewise did not emphasize the "essence of the first half of the book": Harry fighting for the Greater Good, with the hallows/horcruxes as a driving force in the story. PoA on the other hand focused on the main character's growth throughout that story, which was about accepted truths.
    I was simply going off simple logic of what was kept from the books plot. Despite the Mauraders, POA definitely flows better than SS and the very slow moving COS.
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order of the Phoenix did similarly well in telling the same story as the book about isolation, Goblet takes the third spot as a story about personal values, whereas HBP and DH: 2 told different stories than the books. SS, CoS and DH 1 didn't seem to tell stories at all.
  • TheDoctorTheDoctor Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DH2 is an interesting case when it comes to saying whether it should have told the same story as the book given the split. Given that they axed in Part 1 most of what would have come to a head in Part 2, a story about undying devotion (I agree with Wimsey on CoS) really worked well, and I felt that was a big theme of the second half of DH already with the Prince's Tale, McGonagall securing the school because Harry said he was acting on Dumbedore's orders, Harry continuing to trust Dumbledore and his instructions, and the way everyone fights after Harry's "death".
  • js1138js1138 Posts: 143
    All the books are told through Harry. Not first person, but still from his point of view.

The first two books (and movies) are a bit childish because Harry was a child.

The point of view of the storyteller matures along with the characters.

It's a rather unique achievement in literature. I say that as a former English major. I don't know of any other examples.
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Half-Blood Prince but I still think they dropped the ball big time by almost completely ignoring the most interesting parts of the narrative. In general I think the films touch on all the important stuff, but the sixth is the first one that made me say "really?" I mean there was so much history there and potential that I felt would have made it a stronger, more diverse and more interesting film but their logic that going back hinders forward momentum crucified the plot because most of the entire book was about "going back" in order to provide revelations related to the matter at hand. That's why I completely disagree with their logic to skip that stuff-- the story wasn't taking steps back; by going back chronologically you get a lot of information and insight into present matters, as well as incredible character development and motivational basis for the main fucking antagonist.

It will always be a good film and an impeccably shot one, but I also feel that it was the biggest missed opportunity of the entire series. Thankfully they rectified my anger for that film with the Deathly Hallows two-parter, but I just can't go back and rewatch Half-Blood because it seriously just grates on my nerves that they didn't seem to understand the story enough to the point where they thought that the memory sequences were a forward momentum hindrance. It's complete and utter bullshit. Half-Blood Prince is sort of like the Sorcerer's Stone for Voldemort. It's the book where you learn about the main villain, his motivations, and it's the book where the cards are laid out on the table. All the filmmakers did was lay the cards out on the table.
    ^ I love HBP the movie a lot... And you are right. Probably my favorite chapters in the WHOLE series were in HBP when we visit Voldemort's past.

• TheDoctorTheDoctor Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harry has some good character development in HBP too. When it comes to the memories, I can understand the thinking behind not including as many of them. However, instead of trying to combine/modify (aka adapt) the memories so that they still kept most of Voldemort's story without quite as much exposition and repetition for the film (more show in the memories, less tell afterwards), they just cut most of them.
    Just, when I read Half-Blood Prince, I had the impression that Rowling largely just wanted people to learn more about Voldemort's past as well as learn about Horcruxes, the power behind them, and what he does to make them. Part of the fun was reading it and trying to figure out clues and hints as to what they were and where he hid them. The book was very much on-point about this and the huge focus of the novel was strengthening Harry and Dumbledore's relationship; they really do act as a unit in the book and it made Dumbledore's death even more tragic than it already was. However in the film version, you only get minor bits of this partnership, and even more minor bits of what seemed to be the exact focus of the novel. I have to be honest; I felt the film was by far the worst adaptation in terms of story. It's far from the worst film, there is a difference, but the book was powerful because of almost every single thing that Kloves omitted.
    I also think that if they kept some of the memory stuff-- even if condensed which it would have had to be-- it would have made the story a lot more clearer for those who didn't read, and I think it would have made Voldemort a much deeper and far cooler villain. In Deathly Hallows Part 2 they do a neat thing where they show his vulnerabilities, but I felt that Half-Blood Prince was the installment that said look, here's a normal boy who grows up around abnormal circumstances-- much like Harry-- but here's why Tom took a different path than Harry did. Again Half-Blood was meant to be the polar contrast to Sorcerer's Stone. In Sorcerer's Stone, we meet a boy named Harry who finds out he's a wizard and grew up in a miserable environment. In Half-Blood we meet a boy named Tom who finds out he's a wizard and grew up in a miserable environment.

What's the difference? Why did Harry and Tom end up being two completely different characters despite sharing certain elements during their childhood? By watching the film, you would never know.
    edited February 2012
    That being said, it's a pretty great film with amazing cinematography, strong enough emotion, good performances, and some highly memorable scenes. I just cannot imagine what it could have been had they not tackled it with their bullshit approach.
    The Opening 17 seconds of HBP were the best 17 seconds I ever had watching a movie.

• yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must be the only one who didn't cared about Voldemort's story.