Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

What is your favourite Quidditch scene? (Films)

WeasleytheKingWeasleytheKing Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
I have watched all the movies in the past fortnight, and I've always loved the Quidditch matches at Hogwarts. So it got me wondering, do you guys have a favourite Quidditch match/scene from the films?

PS - one of my favourite scenes in the Harry Potter series. I remember watching it for the first time. It really is magical. We get the whole match from the release of the quaffle, bludgers and snitch to Harry catching it to complete the game. I've read and watched in interviews that the producers wish they spent more time on this scene, but I personally see nothing wrong with it.

COS - Another exciting match. This one centred on the rogue bludger and Malfoy as the enemy. While it isn't as exciting as the first, I still really enjoy it.

POA - loved loved loved seeing Quidditch in the rainy storm! It's not as long and ends up focussing more on the dementors, but an intense scene.

OOTP - Oh crap. Wait. As much as I love the movie, I love the Quidditch scenes in the book and would have loved to see them. It didn't detract from the movie or anything, but it would have been great IMO.

HBP - I love the tryouts and the match in this movie. The match itself - though short - is a version of Quidditch that I think the other films didn't have. It kinda feels like rugby or some brutal sport. I love it.

So, my favourite is probably still PS, followed by HBP. Just thought I'd share my thoughts and maybe start some discussion. I really do miss talking about Potter all the time.

(Sorry for any punctuation or spelling errors by the way aha I'm on my phone!)

Comments

• nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice idea for a discussion topic! Personally, I think it has to be PS for me too. It's the first time we see Quidditch on screen and it's just marvelous. I love how it's a nice and long scene and we get to see a lot. I think John William's score here makes it even more special. It's just such a good effort by Chris Columbus and he couldn't have imagined it better, the effects are just so good for its time too.

I love them all though.
  • WeasleytheKingWeasleytheKing Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

I love how in the Half Blood Prince Quidditch scene the track has very obvious similarities to the track in Prisoner of Azkaban!

The Half Blood Prince quidditch scene is so short - aprrox. 1min15sec - but I just love the shots (especially a show where it follows a few players as they fly across the ground).
  • JordyJordy Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    POA, followed by HBP. First 2 were crap.
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first two were not crap. They introduced us to the world of Quidditch, just as Hogwarts introduced us to a whole new world of magic.

Lord Stafford.

The first two were not crap. They introduced us to the world of Quidditch, just as Hogwarts introduced us to a whole new world of magic.

Lord Stafford.

With crappy effects.
    Have you ever stopped to consider when the two films came out? Perhaps they came out when visual effects weren't quite up to the standard that they are now?

Lord Stafford.
  • Samch92Samch92 Posts: 6,398 mod

Have you ever stopped to consider when the two films came out? Perhaps they came out when visual effects weren't quite up to the standard that they are now?

Lord Stafford.

THIS!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Also, if you're going to bring up "crappy effects" in 2001, why not bring it up in 2011, ten years later, with the ROR scene?

Lord Stafford.

Also, if you're going to bring up "crappy effects" in 2001, why not bring it up in 2011, ten years later, with the ROR scene?

Lord Stafford.

Oh, but i don't say that DH2 has good effects! I'm just saying that quidditch looked better since the third film. The reason: the aging of the effects in the first 2 which makes them look laughable.
    I wouldn't call it laughable. I would call it dated.

Lord Stafford.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    POA amd HBP got the effects and intensity right, but they both felt short. SS and COS got the feeling right ( a match ) but they were a bit too long. It depends what you prefer.
    As Darth would say 'Raiders' never got the effects right, because that didn't matter; they got everything else right. That's what matters, the feeling.

Lord Stafford.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    The earlier ones did feel like a match. But like I said even so, they feel long after you rewatch them. I wanted a quidditch scene that got it all right but unfortunately there wasnt one.
  • XWingardium_LeviosaXXWingardium_LeviosaX Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    I'm noy a very big fan of Quidditch, but definitely the first one has to be my favorite.
  • MattCatMattCat Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    In terms of 'pure Qudditch', then I'd say HBP has the best match. It's the most interestingly shot and it isn't ungodly long.
    MattCat said:

In terms of 'pure Qudditch', then I'd say HBP has the best match. It's the most interestingly shot and it isn't ungodly long.

The best match? How? All we see is Ron showing off.

Lord Stafford.
  • MattCatMattCat Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    I consider it the best Qudditch game because it was the first time it ever felt like a real sport: high-octane, messy and intense. It was like aerial rugby. Columbus' games were too neat and tidy, there was no adrenaline in them, like much in his films it was just passive. Yates' scene was sharp, to the point, and showed the progression of the game without meandering (as Columbus was so wont to do). It also looked very pretty with the snowy backdrop.
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    I think this is asking what your favorite scene is. Not what scene had the best graphics (although they could be the same). For me, the whole situation of Ron taking "Liquid Luck", that ends up being a placebo, had me in stitches (not snitches... ok, that was bad.) Ron was King that night, pulling mad honeys back at the Gryffindor common room.

• PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POA, followed by HBP.
  • Mr108jmlMr108jml Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    My favorite is POA's because it's intense and dark and has a feeling of danger that the previous films didn't have, I just wish it was longer. HBP is my second favorite.