Home General
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

What are/What will you going/go to college for?

Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in General
Here you can discuss what college you want to go to and what you want to major in OR if you're in college you can talk about what profession your working towards... I'm interested :)
"If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Comments

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in my senior year in high school.

I plan to major in biomedical engineering (most likely, MAYBE chemical), but take all med-required classes and try to get into med school. That way, if I decide med isn't for me, I have engineering to fall back on rather than just some simple biology where there's nothing to do with that degree :p

But if I do decide med, I have no fucking clue after that. Tons of different types of specialaztions and who knows which ones will by affected by the health care bill. I'll be lucky enough to be well into the adoption of the new system to take a good guess/know which ones are better.
    But absolutely no fucking surgery. I can watch surgery, but dear god I can not perform it, loll :p
  • SarahElizabeth!SarahElizabeth! Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to major in Psychology and Education.
    Photobucket
  • Potter35Potter35 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh gosh! I am just 13. I wish I could know how college life seems like. But If you ask then I have plans for actually nothing.I want to do something easy but parents already have made plans considering me a future doctor. So I suppose that I will go into a medical college and would be a Doctor obviously lol. Also, I wish to go to Hogwarts. That is also like a College I guess. :')

But absolutely no fucking surgery. I can watch surgery, but dear god I can not perform it, loll :p

Even watching surgery requires courage. You can do this If you try. (:
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    I'm a freshmen. Is it too soon to even start thinking?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mysterious thing time.
    I made my plans when I was 7.
    Photobucket

I don't even remember what I did at 7. Lol
    I remember everything.
    Photobucket
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll become a senior in February.
    I will go for Social Communication - either with a concentration in audiovisual or publicity.

• LizLiz Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    I'm a junior in college right now. I am majoring is Psychology (BA). I'm going to go for my Masters afterward and specialize in treating trauma victims.
  • XWingardium_LeviosaXXWingardium_LeviosaX Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm currently in college and Itried out in the journalism field, but I realized that isn't for me. This might sound silly, but ever since I took my Earth Science class in my sophomore year of high school, I sort of fell in love with the geology part of it. The reason I didn't chose to go for it at first, was because I sort of wanted to please my parents, but now I'm really excited to change my major to science and be a Geologist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    I completed 4 years of University and received my Bachelor's Degree in Filmmaking in December of 2010 :D

Now I'm after a specialization/ Post-Graduate course. Probably in the Visual Effects/Animation/Post Production industry ^^
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome Wing!

Glad to hear you're still going strong Henrick, I actually remembered everything you told me about going to film school!

As for me I'm a Junior in college working on a B.S. in Atmospheric Science, but I'm taking it all the way to the Doctoral level so I can research severe storms for NASA :D
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• AbhishekAbhishek Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    @Darth -
    Did my B.Tech in Electrical Engineering from 2006-2010. Worked for two years in Cisco. Currently doing Masters in management. Would finish it in 2014! :D
    Abhi said:

@Darth -
    Did my B.Tech in Electrical Engineering from 2006-2010. Worked for two years in Cisco. Currently doing Masters in management. Would finish it in 2014! :D

That's awesome!!! I may have to have you on speed-dial when I get to differential equations :-B

Abhi said:

@Darth -

That's awesome!!! I may have to have you on speed-dial when I get to differential equations :-B
    Anytime man! Differential Equations are a piece of cake.
    :-B
  • TubbyToastTubbyToast Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abhi said:

Abhi said:

@Darth -

.... Thinks @Abhi.

Senior year is starting for me late August and next year I hope to get accepted at the Film Academy in Amsterdam, doing either directing or editing, still can't make the decision. My plan B is to attend the teacherschool for a year and audition for the Film Academy again. (:

Abhi said:

Abhi said:

@Darth -

.... Thinks @Abhi.

Senior year is starting for me late August and next year I hope to get accepted at the Film Academy in Amsterdam, doing either directing or editing, still can't make the decision. My plan B is to attend the teacherschool for a year and audition for the Film Academy again. (:

Great Lola! :D
    Abhi said:

@Darth -

...so, not IT help? :(
  • TubbyToastTubbyToast Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude Abhi can do anything

Abhi said:

@Darth -

...so, not IT help? :(
    LOL no.... no outsourcing bullshit. :))
    There goes hearing your voice when my computer breaks down :p

I had a GPA of 9.4/10 in my Bachelors Marty. I think I am a teeny-weeny bit more qualified and have more better things to deal with than those poor Indian guys who have to mimic American accents while solving you guys' mundane IT problems.
    :)) ;)
  • Lord_DarkeyesLord_Darkeyes Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to go to Columbia to study cinematography :D
    imageimageimage

Abhi said:

I had a GPA of 9.4/10 in my Bachelors Marty. I think I am a teeny-weeny bit more qualified and have more better things to deal with than those poor Indian guys who have to mimic American accents while solving you guys' mundane IT problems.
    :)) ;)
    I was under the impression they were the most qualified people to ever work in the IT field.

They always seem to fix my computer problems with just pressing the reset button. It's unbelievable how they fix it like that every time! ;)

My parents made my plans when I was like 6, loll. Usually that never works but for me it did :p
  • Festax0333Festax0333 Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i deffinitely want to continue music and musical theater. Im leaning towards music but i also have an interest in education since my father is a teacher and my grandfather waas :)
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • echomagic650echomagic650 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Ever since I was 7 (like @SarahElizabeth!) I've known what I've wanted to do. I want to be a writer, like JK Rowling. But my back up plan (which I've had since I was eleven and realized I could never be as successful as JKR because no one will ever be as successful as her) is to be a corporate lawyer, and my back up plan after that is to be a translator. In terms of college I want to major in Romance languages (Spanish and Italian specifically) and minor in Literature. After college I want to get a joint MBA and JD. For college my top ten are Middlebury, Dartmouth, Trinity, Wesleyan, Yale, Brown, Harvard, Boston College, Merrimack and Bowdoin. That's pretty ambitious of me I know, but the sorting hat didn't put me in Slytherin for nothing. :) Anyway, it's only a rough plan, I was also thinking I might want to minor in History (not sure which country, or if I might just go with world), or instead of doing romance languages pick a language or do a double major in Spanish and Italian, or Spanish and something else, or, in fact, do a mixture of all of those things, maybe do more business and law in college as well instead of just waiting for the extra degrees. At any rate, those are the main things I want to do. Oh, and I'm entering my Junior year in high school by the way. :)
    "That wand's more trouble than it's worth," said Harry. "And quite honestly," he turned away from the painted portraits, thinking now only of the four-poster bed lying waiting for him in Gryffindor Tower, and wondering whether Kreacher might bring him a sandwich there, "I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."
    -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, page 749

"Whether you come back by page, or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home” - J.K. Rowling

Well, I'm currently in college and Itried out in the journalism field, but I realized that isn't for me. This might sound silly, but ever since I took my Earth Science class in my sophomore year of high school, I sort of fell in love with the geology part of it. The reason I didn't chose to go for it at first, was because I sort of wanted to please my parents, but now I'm really excited to change my major to science and be a Geologist.

I think Geology suits you better! (:
    Photobucket
  • XWingardium_LeviosaXXWingardium_LeviosaX Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

I think Geology suits you better! (:
    Haha, I think so too! I'm not very good with people, so being a journalist is quite scary. I do love to write, but geologists have to write reports and such. I also have a collection of rocks haha. I'm just really excited about it :P
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,837 mod
    edited July 2012
    I'm going for Art Education with a specialty in Painting, Sculpture and Photography. Ive wanted to be an artist since I was, well as long as I can actually remember :)

My family tried to talk me out of pursuing this degree though and wanted me to go for Radiology and I nearly did, until my art teacher sat me down and said to me, "You can either do something that will make you lots of money that will bore you after a few years, or do what you love for the rest of your life and always have new adventures everyday." That sums up exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life :) However, who knows where the winds will take me. :)

My advice to anyone is do what makes you happy, not what others tell you what to do. You don't want to end up like Hitman Monkey...

• Wolf_PotterWolf_Potter Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm studying Microbiology most likely.

I'm a Chemist Bacteriologist Parasitologist. I'm in the 5th semester of 9. :D

imageimage

Those are the kind of things I do in my career, and many others.

Uhm yeah this is me :\">
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    I think Ry should go for filmmaking!
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,837 mod
    Henrick said:

I think Ry should go for filmmaking!

I genuinely want to...idk I think I'm just gonna start making my own movies and seeing what I come up with. I actually did come up with a script that would be awesome. I wrote it like a book but it could turn into a screenplay and it would be easy for me to do. Its about a town's secret plot with Drug Dealers and the Ku Klux Klan trying to be revived again. Its very dark but idk. I might finish the writing on it then turn it into book and try and submit it somewhere. Theres just too much I want to accomplish with life. I cant stand it. haha :3
    RyGuy said:

I'm going for Art Education with a specialty in Painting, Sculpture and Photography. Ive wanted to be an artist since I was, well as long as I can actually remember :)

My family tried to talk me out of pursuing this degree though and wanted me to go for Radiology and I nearly did, until my art teacher sat me down and said to me, "You can either do something that will make you lots of money that will bore you after a few years, or do what you love for the rest of your life and always have new adventures everyday." That sums up exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life :) However, who knows where the winds will take me. :)

My advice to anyone is do what makes you happy, not what others tell you what to do. You don't want to end up like Hitman Monkey...

I am hoping to minor in art.

Photobucket

I'm studying Microbiology most likely.

I'm a Chemist Bacteriologist Parasitologist. I'm in the 5th semester of 9. :D

imageimage

Those are the kind of things I do in my career, and many others.

Uhm yeah this is me :\">

I applaud you. Biology is the one science that disagrees with me lol I have to go for the math based Chemistry and Physics lol

I applaud you. Biology is the one science that disagrees with me lol I have to go for the math based Chemistry and Physics lol

Chemistry is just awesome! But yeah I belong to Biology area :) But It's awesome tough.
    But thanks God I'm on vacations.

• AnthonyAnthony Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Jesus everyone here makes me feel dumb lol. I'm going to be a senior this year and I honestly have no idea what I really want to do. I'll most likely go into school for business, and I absolutely love Northeastern, but I doubt that I'll get in lol.
    edited July 2012
    Anthony said:

Jesus everyone here makes me feel dumb lol. I'm going to be a senior this year and I honestly have no idea what I really want to do. I'll most likely go into school for business, and I absolutely love Northeastern, but I doubt that I'll get in lol.

You feel dumb? I feel something more than dumb. I am not in college yet and I absolutely have no plans.

Post edited by Potter35 on
    Potter35 said:

Anthony said:

You feel dumb? I feel something more dumb. I am not in college yet and I absolutely have no plans.

You're a lot younger than everyone else. Anthony has a year until he is in college. You have time!
    Photobucket
    Oh. Yeah but you told me that you made plans when you were 7 and thinking about that I felt stupid.I should make my plans too. And I am working on that.
    Psh, that doesnt make you stupid. You probably won't be ABLE to even choose a job until you reach college. Look at the jobs today, SO many did not exist 10 years ago. Jobs just are created exponentially, and when new technology and new things come out, more people for them are needed. You have time.

Psh, that doesnt make you stupid. You probably won't be ABLE to even choose a job until you reach college. Look at the jobs today, SO many did not exist 10 years ago. Jobs just are created exponentially, and when new technology and new things come out, more people for them are needed. You have time.

Oh yes. I did not think of that actually. Thanks buddy. I hope better things are there when my time come. I really want to get into the best one and make my parents,myself proud. :x