Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Privet Lane - request for help from Harry Potter fans

ThaliaThalia Posts: 2
edited January 2010 in General
Hi,

I'll start by confessing I haven't read any Harry Potter for ages - I'm hoping someone can help me out by answering a question:

I know Harry lives at Privet Lane and that he is magically protected there. I also read in one place that it is a hedge that protects him - but I'm not sure if this latter bit of information is correct. Could anyone help me out and tell me if it is and if so where I'd find the reference? I'm doing some research about hedges so would be grateful for any help anyone can give.

Comments

• {W~C}{W~C} Posts: 288
    hehe harry potter and the magical bush...
  • keetkeet Posts: 600
    I cant remember anything about hedges..
  • TomRiddleTomRiddle Posts: 175
    Obvious Troll is both Obvious and Troll. Please do not feed it.
  • ThaliaThalia Posts: 2
    That's a bit unfair TomRiddle. I am genuinely looking for an answer to the question.

It is starting to sound like this was simply a bad bit of interpretation or journalism - I can't remember where I first saw this piece of information. If it was true it would be of great interest to me as there is a lot of mythology surrounding hedges in children's literature over the years, going back to Alice chasing the rabbit down a hole under a hedge.

Obviously the "Privet Lane" reference is meant to conjure up a tedious uniform suburbia rather than being specific hedge reference. Maybe whoever wrote about it just conflated that with the idea of the magical protection.

Anyhow if anyone else can think of anything in the books that would help me please do let me know, not a troll honest guv. I know about the hedge maze which features in a contest in one of the books, it's specifically this thing about the house being protected by the hedge I'm curious about.
  • keetkeet Posts: 600
    The house was protected with the.... spell ... you know the one
  • lupinshowllupinshowl Posts: 369
    edited January 2010
    I believe that it was Dumbledore himself that put up the protection.............there was no hedge............and the protection would last until Harry was of age............maybe Dumbledore could've had the protection on Harry longer........but Dumbledore......being the smart, wise......and never telling anyone his plans, only what they need to know.........probably knew what was going to happen.............He'll let Harry enjoy life and when the moment came.........Harry would know what to do and be ready........because if Harry was protected his whole life............well.........he'd probably be a wuss......I am sure too that Dumbledore was there watching over Harry alot without Harry noticing............cause remember Dumbledore is so good that he does not need a invisibility cloak to become invisible............He told Harry this in book one when Harry went to go sit in front of the mirror of erised.............Harry didn't even see him........and Dumbledore knew that Harry was there before with Ron..........he could've been invisible then as well...............

But to answer your question..........it was Dumbledore's protection that protected the house on Privet Drive...........not hedges.......you'll be wasting your time on a report about hedges..........and Harry's protection that protects Harry himself was his mother...........she sacrificed her life to protect him and so he is protected..........it wasn't until book 4 when Voldemort took his blood in order to regain a body that Voldemort was able to break that protection..........but the house on Privet Drive was still being protected by Dumbledore's enchantments.........Hope that helps you out..............